Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost a young sister

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

I have read through many of the threads and I haven't noticed any related to child deaths, which are probably the worst.

Reading through these posts as made me feel like placing some of my own thoughts on paper(so to speak).

My youngest sister(at the time) died when she was 7 in 1987.
    Unfortunately it was a very long drawn out affair. She had a brain tumour which was operated on in Jan,Feb and March of 1987 in the old Richmond hospital. She finally died in August of that year after being in a coma since the first operation in January. It was extremely damaging to the family.

My own childhood or even memories centre around that year. Before 1987(I was 12 that year) I have very vague, just photgraphic memories of life. I have only a few memories of my sister.Where as after that year my memories are more 'video' like and more plentiful.

Looking back, and especially years later, the one thing that I take great solace from is the support of our community, from the schools,local shopkeepers,neighbours to friends and family. People really cared and wanted to assist.

I think a child death is very hard on a family but when the inevitable is dragged out for months it's cruel.

I only think of her from time to time these days and feel guilty for not thinking of her more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

dont feel bad op. you were only a child yourself when your sister died. life has gone on , you have grown up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

OP, if the situation was reversed, would you want your sister to think of you all the time? Or just from time to time, but with a smile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

JackieChan wrote: »
    I only think of her from time to time these days and feel guilty for not thinking of her more
    I think that you think of them from time to time is enough.

Advertisement