Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

novice - sally gap

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All,

I was thinking of cycling the Sally gap soon (cycling around 4 months now),

what is the easiest route to the sally gap, I reckon its from
    Blessington? (by looking at google earth)

Also I reckon it will take around 3 hours...
    How much water should i bring? two bottles enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

You haven't said where you live. The road up from Blessington is undulating at first. Try coming up from Rathfarnham. I prefer that way.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26869722 is from Blessington

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26869794 is from Rathfarnham

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26869828 is from Laragh

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26869884 is from Newtownmountkennedy / Roundwood

It all depends on how good you are climbing, I suppose. Each climb has its own features, as does each decent. The Roundwood side is the most scenic but also the hardest to get to from Dublin. You could always take the Dart to Greystones if you live in Dublin, climb that way, then descend back into Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reidzer

Thanks,
    I live close to citywest,
    So either the Rathfarnham or bleesington route is handiest

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Head up towards Blessington from Sagart and then turn off when you see the Sally Gap signposted. The only section that will cause you a serious problem is the last 1km to the top. Up until then its mostly quite undulating and not too steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Here's one pretty much directly from CityWest:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26870514

That's a nice route, I've stuck in a few rest stops, but whether you need more or less stops would depend on your fitness level.

There are 3 major climbs:
    Oldcourt Road - Gradually builds up to a steep climb for about 1km. Not too tough at all.
    Killakee road - The climb that keeps on taking. Just when you think you're at the top of this climb, it's another corner and a slightly steeper hill. Horrible when you're on it, but feels great at the top
    Glencree - Another longish climb, it's tough, but not too long with a great lakeview 5 minutes from the top.

Once you have the last climb conquered, the hardest part of the ride is over, it's mainly downhill from there - Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride and N81 back to Citywest. 50k would be a considered a short enough ride, but there's enough climbing there to give anyone a good workout.
    Instead of doing the round route, you can turn around and go back the way you came. Those three hills are fun to come back down, though not so much in wet and icy conditions.

As leftism says if you do the route in reverse it will actually be a good deal easier, there are less vicious climbs.

leftism wrote: »
    Head up towards Blessington from Sagart and then turn off when you see the Sally Gap signposted. The only section that will cause you a serious problem is the last 1km to the top. Up until then its mostly quite undulating and not too steep.

is the last 1km a lot harder than the steep side of howth hill? I can do that fine...

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Here's one pretty much directly from CityWest:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26870514

That's a nice route, I've stuck in a few rest stops, but whether you need more or less stops would depend on your fitness level.

There are 3 major climbs:
    Oldcourt Road - Gradually builds up to a steep climb for about 1km. Not too tough at all.
    Killakee road - The climb that keeps on taking. Just when you think you're at the top of this climb, it's another corner and a slightly steeper hill. Horrible when you're on it, but feels great at the top
    Glencree - Another longish climb, it's tough, but not too long with a great lakeview 5 minutes from the top.

Once you have the last climb conquered, the hardest part of the ride is over, it's mainly downhill from there - Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride and N81 back to Citywest. 50k would be a considered a short enough ride, but there's enough climbing there to give anyone a good workout.
    Instead of doing the round route, you can turn around and go back the way you came. Those three hills are fun to come back down, though not so much in wet and icy conditions.

As leftism says if you do the route in reverse it will actually be a good deal easier, there are less vicious climbs.

I think I'll take the easier route at first! Cheers

Once you are a little more confident and have tried the Sally Gap from a few directions, you could try this (maybe set this as a target for May 1st)

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26870852

A few more climbs and a much greater distance.

superrdave wrote: »
    Once you are a little more confident and have tried the Sally Gap from a few directions, you could try this (maybe set this as a target for May 1st)

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26870852

A few more climbs and a much greater distance.

For such a long cycle, what do you do for water/food?

reidzer wrote: »

Get a saddle bag. You can fit two bars of chocolate or energy bars, maybe an apple, some gels if you are into that, your phone and twenty quid in there. Two bottles, one with water, one with something sugary like lucozade sport. There is nice little cafe in Laragh with tables outside so you can keep an eye on the bike while having something to eat (say, a ham salad sandwich on brown bread washed down with a cup of tea on a cold day / glass of coke on a hot day). In fact, on any cycle of any length, you should find somewhere nice to grab a quick bite to eat and you are generally far enough from Dublin to not have to worry about the bike going walkies (not to mention the fact in Laragh it would be very unusual NOT to find other cyclists doing the same thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Stop here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

daragh_ wrote: »
    Stop here.

Yeah, fair play to those lads. Tables outside, an outside toilet as well for cyclists to use, and an outside fresh water tap for filling bottles.

The only thing to watch out for is falling on your ar$e inside the shop in your cycling shoes and cleats - they have a wheelchair style ramp up to the deli bit at the back and I can't tell you how many times I've nearly creamed myself on it! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just back from a lunch time spin up Cruagh and while it's lovely up there, if you're planning on going up to the Sally Gap make sure you're wearing warm gear. I find toes and fingers can get cold and sore very easy this time of year. Food wise, in addition to what other have said, a big bowl of steaming porridge and a mug of tea half an hour before you set off fuels you up pretty well. And enjoy the spin, whichever route you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Which route DOWN from Sally Gap is the best? My favorite is coming down towards Roundwood. Last time i hit +75klm at one stage. Makes the climbing worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Thanks,
    I live close to citywest,
    So either the Rathfarnham or bleesington route is handiest

Rathfarnham then...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Dodser

Redzer,

The church climb in Howth is very steep, but only lasts 200-300 Metres. Could I suggest you climb from Sutton over the hill then come back over the Hill via the Church. If you can do that you'll be able to do Sally's Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

I've never been over to Howth Hill as i live out in Kildare so i couldn't compare really....

My first experience of Sally Gap though, i had to stop about 400m from the top (coming from the Blessington side). My top climbing gear at the time was 39-23 and i just didn't have the power in the legs to keep the cranks turning. Since then i've switched to a compact crankset and i've had no problems. If you haven't climbed much before, i would take a look at your gear ratio before heading up to tackle any of the climbs in Wicklow.

I suffered so much on my first trip up to Wicklow but as i was told by wise men on this forum, the only way to improve your climbing is to do more of it. Once you get a gear ratio that you're comfortable climbing with, you'll be surprised at the improvements you'll make after a few trips up to Wicklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The long side of Howth is about 4km and the short side is 2km. It's no steeper, but Sally Gap is longer, more exposed and has a more difficult approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

leftism wrote: »
    I've never been over to Howth Hill as i live out in Kildare so i couldn't compare really....

My first experience of Sally Gap though, i had to stop about 400m from the top (coming from the Blessington side). My top climbing gear at the time was 39-23 and i just didn't have the power in the legs to keep the cranks turning. Since then i've switched to a compact crankset and i've had no problems. If you haven't climbed much before, i would take a look at your gear ratio before heading up to tackle any of the climbs in Wicklow.

I suffered so much on my first trip up to Wicklow but as i was told by wise men on this forum, the only way to improve your climbing is to do more of it. Once you get a gear ratio that you're comfortable climbing with, you'll be surprised at the improvements you'll make after a few trips up to Wicklow!

+1.

I only started doing any real cycling in January of last year, and tried to climb the Sally Gap from Blessington a couple of times with a 53-39 crankset, and had to pause on the way up each time, suffering horribly. Got a compact then, and was able to get up the Sally Gap and keep going over Luggala the first day out with it (having started from Naas that time)- the difference was phenomenal. A few more successful climbs of it and I found myself beginning to have a gear or two to spare, because I tended to stay away from the lowest gearing until I hit the final steep stretch, and each time I found less need to actually drop into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I found the route from Rathfarnharm much more pleasant to ride. The road surfaces are better that side which makes it easier to climb.

You also get to roll down the busy Blessington Road rather than struggle up as cars speed by you

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Which route DOWN from Sally Gap is the best? My favorite is coming down towards Roundwood. Last time i hit +75klm at one stage. Makes the climbing worthwhile.

Towards Kilbride in clear/dry weather is fairly excellent. Great visibility from the top so you can really let rip when the road is totally clear. Watch out for the bridge though.

• Advertisement

I've only ever gone up with a compact so have never had any real issues, apart from the very first time (coming up from Glencree) when I had to stop at the bit that overlooking Lough Bray. Had just been overtaken by someone at least 20 years older than me spinning happily along with a Standard. I probably had a little cry as well.

+1 on the descent on the Roundwood side. Watch out for the cars parked close to the road along there past Lough Tay.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Stop here.

Yeah, and then what? Wicklow Gap back to CityWest? :)

Lumen wrote: »
    Yeah, and then what? Wicklow Gap back to CityWest? :)

I usually crawl up back by Glenmacnass, but that's because I'm pathetic and weak.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I usually crawl up back by Glenmacnass, but that's because I'm pathetic and weak.

Heh, I'll often go one lazier still and head back via the old long hill into Enniskerry, having just come from glanmacnass or the wicklow gap. If I'm feeling a bit brave, I might take the [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/62453/142870.jpg[/url] back to lough tay and the sally gap, though some of the ramps en route make me pause for breath.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I found the route from Rathfarnharm much more pleasant to ride. The road surfaces are better that side which makes it easier to climb.

You also get to roll down the busy Blessington Road rather than struggle up as cars speed by you

Turn right in Brittas....

Advertisement