Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Weather Station Setup

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

After some weather related Christmas delays (oh, the irony!), I have my weather station. It's a WH1090. I have it assembled but still need to arrange a pole in my back garden, but that's on the way.

I have a few questions regarding it's setup, if anybody could help.
    1. I think I've read about pressure calibration before but am not sure what's needed. The station currently tells me that the abs pressure is 998.0 hPa. If I check here, http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp, it tells me that Casement is 1008 hPa. I'm in Lucan, so is that a reasonable benchmark? Should I change mine to be the same as Casement?

1a. If I do need to calibrate my pressure, why?

2. I'm going to install the Easy Weather and the Cumulus software to take a look at both, but I've read that Cumulus is better. Would this be correct and are there any other (free) s/w that I could consider? I'll be looking at uploading data to webspace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

After some weather related Christmas delays (oh, the irony!), I have my weather station. It's a WH1090. I have it assembled but still need to arrange a pole in my back garden, but that's on the way.

I have a few questions regarding it's setup, if anybody could help.
    1. I think I've read about pressure calibration before but am not sure what's needed. The station currently tells me that the abs pressure is 998.0 hPa. If I check here, http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp, it tells me that Casement is 1008 hPa. I'm in Lucan, so is that a reasonable benchmark? Should I change mine to be the same as Casement?

1a. If I do need to calibrate my pressure, why?

2. I'm going to install the Easy Weather and the Cumulus software to take a look at both, but I've read that Cumulus is better. Would this be correct and are there any other (free) s/w that I could consider? I'll be looking at uploading data to webspace.

You could use Casement, or better still, Weston. If you have a scanner tune to 118.875 or call 01-621 7324 for the latest ATIS, issued every 30 minutes. The pressure will be read out as "QNH xxxx hectopascals" near the end. That is the sealevel pressure you should set on your unit.

Advertisement