Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penn and Teller - fool us

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:04am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else see this ??
    Michael Vincent , absolute class as always, great to see whats possible with a deck of cards.
    However I must say that svengali deck type trick that one guy tried (while being a lovely effect) hadnt a hope of fooling Penn and Teller.
    John Archer , while very good , just aint my cup of tea though.

This is the kind of thing I'd kill all of you for a go at ( no offence )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

A buddy of mine was up for this, but his stuff got cut (There was actually 10 magicians, but only 7 were shown on TV).

Personally, I loved Ali Cook's routine. It was the kind of effect I have regularly read about, but never seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

as a viewer (non magic-ical-ish) i thought the premise was not very well thought out.

i like penn & teller, a lot, for a long time. watch as much of their stuff as i can find.
    i dont like JR so much, and find his schtick difficult to listen to.

what really got to me was that everyone knows all magic is fake, its the being tricked that is enjoyable. the rule that it had to fool 2 of the best magicians in the world to get thorugh, to me, made no sense. in theory it sounded good, but in practice the acts that made it through were not the best on the night.

just because they did the trick in a unusual way (that most viewers would not appreciate as they dont know the basic way) did not make it better than doing it the bog standard (no offence) way for the layman viewing the show / trick etc. throwing in jargon "ringing a cooler" did not help the show etc

was great to see some good magic, but a better use of penn & tellers time might have been an actual P&T special or as hosts.

just my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Is it just me or was anyone else wishing Derren Brown would be the next to walk on stage? I'd love to see that particular meeting of minds and it would be interesting to see Brown directly challenged on some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Derren has more fun giving false explanations and covering his tracks that way, a show like this would be a disaster for him. There is discussion groups on his methods, these regularily get tainted by people buying too much into NLP and not researching magic enough to spot the much easier way to do these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

zuroph wrote: »
    Derren has more fun giving false explanations and covering his tracks that way, a show like this would be a disaster for him. There is discussion groups on his methods, these regularily get tainted by people buying too much into NLP and not researching magic enough to spot the much easier way to do these things.

he released a DVD in 2002(ish) explaining how he done some of his Cardtricks
    Called the Devils Picturebook
    i'd say he would love to challenge them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

and with that he retired from card magic. Since then its been a very carefully scripted performance which himself and Nyman work on to give dead ends to lay people and magicians who are trying to work out the secret.

he released a DVD in 2002(ish) explaining how he done some of his Cardtricks
    Called the Devils Picturebook
    i'd say he would love to challenge them

Sorry to segway here,

Anyone who does not have this DVD/Video set should buy it. The set is available from the magicians only section of his website for 40 sterling. The man is an exceptional card magician.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Google David Berglas to find a lot of enigmas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

zuroph wrote: »
    and with that he retired from card magic. Since then its been a very carefully scripted performance which himself and Nyman work on to give dead ends to lay people and magicians who are trying to work out the secret.

his recent TV special 'Enigma' had at least one card trick in it that I saw, though not using the traditional deck of cards (it was the one where he had a deck of cards with pictures of audience members' faces on each, they played a 'guess who' style game). it was bascially a card trick though (and the only thing I could easily figure out :))

As was the final effect - the mix the men and pictures up one.

Not so easy to figure out though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

Penn and Teller on again tonight if anyone missed it ITV 4 @ 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

so who's brave enough to throw their hat into the ring ??

horgan_p wrote: »
    so who's brave enough to throw their hat into the ring ??

Does anyone here besides Harry actually have their own original material? (And is your stuff any good Harry? =P)

Some of the lads previously on Penn and Teller were performing other peoples material.I dont think its a requirement to be doing your own stuff.
    In fairness I dont think you'd go into it thinking you were going to fool penn and teller , you'd go in with the idea of getting a few minutes on primetime TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Can anyone PM me any information about that head displacement trick? I'd kill to know how that was done, or how it's been done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bump..

.. this is back tomorrow (Saturday) at 8pm.

This time, it's a series running weekly for 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Does anyone know how they did the coins & fish in the fish bowl trick? I can get the coins was just very good slight of hand? Or maybe im wrong but seems like the only explanation... But the fish? Is wrecking my head id love to know how it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Looked very much like there was a partition in the tank. It appears empty looking straight on but the coins and fish were behind the partition

MarkJD wrote: »
    Does anyone know how they did the coins & fish in the fish bowl trick? I can get the coins was just very good slight of hand? Or maybe im wrong but seems like the only explanation... But the fish? Is wrecking my head id love to know how it was done.

Here's a video of Teller explaining a few of the sleights involved,

Its an extremely complicated Misers Dream routine...without giving too much away, the chair the audience member is sitting on is rather significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Cheers for that has helped me understand much easier. Iv also gone and had a look at them perform the same trick on an american tv show. Ill send you a PM because im sure your intention was not to ruin it for others. Im still kinda at a loss with the fish but have some idea.

Advertisement