Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jerry Sadowitz

Options
  • 11-01-2011 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭

Is anyone here a fan of this guy and if they are, do they know if there are any recordings of him apart from Total Abuse?

I've grown to absolutely loved that recording and if there's any more of him out there I'd love to see it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 olliem

there seems to be v little but he's just started a tour. However, he doesn't seem to be coming to Ireland unfortunately.
    http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/19862/Jerry_Sadowitz.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 olliem

ah ha. see this comment:
    "He's also notoriously vigilant about nuking any internet clips/downloads bearing his name. It's understandable he wants to protect his material, but it means a younger audience doesn't get to see him in his full glory/fury. (My 25 year-old brother had never heard of him). Youtube clips of him disappear pronto, even those (whisper it) downloads are impossible to find. No DVDs available either; just a VHS video from 1988."
    found here:
    http://www.ents24.com/web/contributions.html?pagetype=artist&pageid=19862

Man, i was in London last weekend and didn't go to one of his shows! Bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

I've only ever seen the total abuse show, but on that evidence alone he seems like one of the most unique comedians of all time. It took me a bit of time to 'get it'. I watched the first ten minutes of it a couple of times before I finally forced myself to sit through it all.

At first glance it seems like a shambolic, almost amateurish attempt at shocking people into laughter, but as soon as you understand what the character is about the brilliance of it all comes crashing down on you. He pitches himself as this sort of curmudgeonly, depraved, stupid, social outcast who likes nothing or no one and is despised by everyone. And by portraying himself as so utterly worthless, it seems completely legitimate for him to attack absolutely anything, because no matter how bad they are they're not as dreadful as him.

Then there's just the sheer anarchy of it all. The rage filled opinion sections, the self-mocking anecdotes, the magic tricks which range from the absurd to the genuinely impressive. He abuses the crowd continuously, but then wades through them with his hat in his hand, begging for a fiver and singing danny boy.

I'd never seen anything like it anyway. Sheer madness but just so fcuking funny as well.

Advertisement