Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOCIAL SCIENCES - SOCIAL WORK CORK

Options
  • 11-01-2011 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am thinking of applying to UCC for two courses as a mature student, my first choice is Social Science and my second will be Social Work.
    Is anybody currently attending them?
    I would need to know how much are the text books and possibly also the titles of the books...
    Also I would be glad if you could give me your general impression of the courses. Are you satisfied with them?
    Are they very popular courses? Is it difficult to gain access to them, you think?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

I'm in the final year of the Social Science undergrad.

They're are no course books,everything can be found in the library.

Its a grand course,not very demanding. 11 hours a week in first year as far as I can remember. You don't have to sign into anything and most stuff goes up on blackboard so its hard to fall behind.

Staff are grand,not that you''ll get to know em well. Course is popular nuff. Work load keeps ya ticking over. Not much to say really. Its interesting and I enjoy most of the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I'm currently in the Masters of Social Work- MSW course. to do that course you would need an undergrad degree in social science, social care, social policy, nursing or something like that. As a Mature student you'd be looking at doing the Bachelor of Social Work- BSW. That is a course usually aimed at people with a fair bit of experience working in the care professions- youth work, disability work etc. UCC are fairly good for providing information for ya so get on to the admissions dept. and if you've any question about social work feel free to PM me. Good luck

Advertisement