Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing

Options
  • 10-01-2011 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm really interested in starting to ski and was thinking maybe early next year doing a ski holiday...

..only I'm a complete beginner and am wondering is it only a fool that goes on a said holiday without having skied before? Or do people normally do practive runs in places like Kilternan before going out???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The first time we went nobody had skied before, we had a great time. I would think that is the norm.
    However I would recommend getting some basic level lessons if possible as you would get so much more from your days on the slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

jc_eire wrote: »
    I'm really interested in starting to ski and was thinking maybe early next year doing a ski holiday...

..only I'm a complete beginner and am wondering is it only a fool that goes on a said holiday without having skied before? Or do people normally do practive runs in places like Kilternan before going out???:confused:

definitely helps the down side is that when you fall on an artificial slope it can really hurt especially if you put out your hands to stop the fall. you can get away with it as you will be in a beginner class and most people will be in the same boat. I did 4 once a week lessons and it really helped made the holiday more enjoyable too.

What would really help is you physical conditioning before the holiday do lots of squats cycling and the like to build up strength and endurance of the leg muscles. its great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I did a lesson at a dry slope before I went on my first ski holiday and wished I had not as I hated it. I now love skiing!

Dont worry about not having skied before - you will be in a beginners class and even if you have had a lesson or two on a dry slope you will still be put in a beginners class.

If you are paying for a course of lessons then maybe not worth paying more for lessons before you go but on the other hand even having a clue of how to clip into your skis before you go is handy so if you have spare money to get a lesson or two then go for it.

Advertisement