Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Year Work Placement

Options
  • 10-01-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

does anybody know any companies that take on students for work placements????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

It would probably help if you tell us what course you're doing.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AdmaialNimitz

It would probably help if you tell us what course you're doing.

:)

lol if its CSSE I can help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

lol if its CSSE I can help...

Im a first year CSSE Admaial, would love some info on it if possible.

LeahBaby wrote: »
    Im a first year CSSE Admaial, would love some info on it if possible.

Well you've a while yet before you need to worry so!! :P

When I did it (last year) I went to the Technology Division of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, I applied to a Microsoft but didnt get through the last interview stage. I also applied to Ericisson but was offered the BAML job before the results of that interview came out.

One of the guys in my class went to a Software company called Critical Path, one went to the Hamilton Institute here on Campus. Two people ended up in Ericisson in Athlone. There were also places advertised in Intel Shannon, but noone went for them I dont think. They were all 6 month placements.

A few of my class took the option to do a years placement, as I recall there is one working for Oracle, one working with datebases for the HSE, there are others that I cant think of right now. All these were paid!

Basically as soon as you start third year you need to start looking. (In hindsight if I were you I start investigating at the end of second year). Dont rely on the Industrial Work Placement Officer. She can be a bit of help. But the more you can do by yourself then the better off you will be. There were a few guys in my class who relied on her a bit too much and they ended up sitting in the back of the 4th year lab doing internal projects all second semester (and so earning no money!!!).

If you cant find a paid placement then she will encourage you to work for free somewhere to get experience. If you've any other questions or anytihng then please ask - this is a bit of a brain dump tbh as opposed to a detailed response!!

EDIT: Wrong info about a company mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Well you've a while yet before you need to worry so!! :P

When I did it (last year) I went to the Technology Division of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, I applied to a Microsoft but didnt get through the last interview stage. I also applied to Ericisson but was offered the BAML job before the results of that interview came out.

One of the guys in my class went to a Software Testing company called Critical Path, one went to the Hamilton Institute here on Campus. Two people ended up in Ericisson in Athlone. There were also places advertised in Intel Shannon, but noone went for them I dont think. They were all 6 month placements.

A few of my class took the option to do a years placement, as I recall there is one working for Oracle, one working with datebases for the HSE, there are others that I cant think of right now. All these were paid!

Basically as soon as you start third year you need to start looking. (In hindsight if I were you I start investigating at the end of second year). Dont rely on the Industrial Work Placement Officer. She can be a bit of help. But the more you can do by yourself then the better off you will be. There were a few guys in my class who relied on her a bit too much and they ended up sitting in the back of the 4th year lab doing internal projects all second semester (and so earning no money!!!).

If you cant find a paid placement then she will encourage you to work for free somewhere to get experience. If you've any other questions or anytihng then please ask - this is a bit of a brain dump tbh as opposed to a detailed response!!
    No thanks a million!! thats great! Do you know of anyone who went abroad?

Ps.Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Several in my year went to some university in China and it seems like they had a great time. 6 months placement again (well, more like five and a bit). I don't know if it is still being offered as an option though.

As mentioned before, you have plenty of time to be thinking about it - sure you're only midway through your first year, who knows what's around the corner?

Several in my year went to some university in China and it seems like they had a great time. 6 months placement again (well, more like five and a bit). I don't know if it is still being offered as an option though.

It is - we were offered that at one stage! But no Leah, noone from my year went abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Yeah this year I know one of the CSSE's is going to Turkey to work for a games company.

Its worth having a look at the placements board to see what's going on at the minute (You'll know it when you see it, its the board with every loose sheet of A4 paper that has ever existed stuck to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭mp3guy

As Alt_Grrr said there is someone in 3rd CSSE this year who is going to Turkey for their placement. You can basically go wherever you want, once you get placement there. I believe there is some erasmus grant thing if you go somewhere in europe (of around €2000), at least that's what I remember being told when I did my placement.

This year's 3rd years have been pretty fortunate; 1 person in Amazon, 1 person in Microsoft, 1 person in Colgate, 1 person in a software company in Celbridge, 3 people in Waratek in Dublin City Centre. 1 person in a company in Donegal. And these are just the ones I know of.

A lot more well off than things were in my year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I would recommend that you put your head down and study. If you get good grades then you will be able to be more selective about where you apply for your placement.
    A word of warning though.. I heard that you are required to accept your first offer so make sure that you only apply for positions that you actually want.

As regards European placements this site is good http://www.europlacement.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

HALP

Trapped in Turkey, somebody take me baaaaaaaaaack!

Or not, it's great here :pac:

On topic edit!

If you find yourself running out of options/paid jobs to apply to, just make phone calls and start dropping CV's like mad...
    Free/slave labour can be pretty enticing to companies...

Advertisement