Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal pup in the dock in Galway

Options
  • 10-01-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

There's been a small harbour (as far as i can see) seal pup in the dock for the past couple of days. It was there last night on a makeshift pontoon in the corner for about 5 or 6 hours, and when I walked past tonight it's there again. It seems pretty active at the moment, but I'm wondering if its been abandoned. Its about 2 and a half foot long and fairly fat. The dock gate is open at the moment but it didn't seem to be going anywhere. Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Finright wrote: »
    There's been a small harbour (as far as i can see) seal pup in the dock for the past couple of days. It was there last night on a makeshift pontoon in the corner for about 5 or 6 hours, and when I walked past tonight it's there again. It seems pretty active at the moment, but I'm wondering if its been abandoned. Its about 2 and a half foot long and fairly fat. The dock gate is open at the moment but it didn't seem to be going anywhere. Opinions?
    If it looks fat and is active then it's probably ok. I wouldn't go near or touch it as the mother might abandon it. You could contact the Irish Seal Sanctuary, they would be able to give better advice:
    http://www.irishsealsanctuary.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Tell the local fishermen,they might give it some thing to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

marlin vs wrote: »
    Tell the local fishermen,they might give it some thing to eat.

I hope you are being sarcastic..If the local fishermen are told there is only one thing that will happen it.. Seals Disrupt the fish -> bad fishing etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Finright

I think the crew from the Celtic Voyager (a marine research ship) are keeping an eye on it. It may be fine, it seems to be coming and going to the same place so maybe its just using that spot to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 quixie

Seal still there this evening, and not seeming a very happy pup. Mewling somewhat and seeming to have some discomfort in his left flipper. There were a couple of students hanging out looking worried. Phone Irish Seal Sanctuary and left a message. My one worry was that a fisherman came over and was basically saying 'Ach, he's fine' and trying to get the pup off the raft. Pup not happy. Neither were the bystanders.

• Advertisement

I've been on to the seal sanctuary. Sending them some pictures now. Do you think he looks injured? I can't decide if he's in distress or happy enough. He's yawning and scratching himself, and he looks pretty fat. I've also seen loads of people stopping to look, he's getting loads of attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 quixie

He's certainly basking in the attention! Yeah, not sure but definitely resistant to being jogged off the pontoon by fishermen. Talked to the seal sanctuary too, and they said they'd be sending a volunteer down to check out if he was injured or just doing his sealy thing. I hope the latter.

Clearly nothing else is happening in Galway tonight! ;)

i know ya, fierce excitement! Playing eco-warrior is keeping me busy!

Advertisement