Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Awards cancelled for 2011

Options
  • 10-01-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0110/meteorawards.html
    The Meteor Ireland Music Awards will not take place this year, it has been announced. The organisers of the awards said the ceremony would be "taking a break" for 2011 in a statement released today.
    The statement said: "Since their inception in 2001, the Meteors have become synonymous with music in Ireland and have celebrated the best of Irish and international music, as well as recognising up and coming home-grown talent.
    "The awards have seen performances from some of the biggest names in the global music industry including Muse, Elton John, Snoop Dogg, The Script, Dizzee Rascal, Kaiser Chiefs, Westlife, Boyzone, Tom Jones, Amy Winehouse and countless others.
    "We wish to take this opportunity to thank all those who have participated."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Why, are neither Snow Patrol nor the Script realising albums this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Anyone know the reason for the cancellation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

No loss, all those comments on the RTE page are pretty much spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No loss, all those comments on the RTE page are pretty much spot on!

It's a loss to all the hotels and businesses in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

It's a loss to all the hotels and businesses in the area.

I was speaking more in musical terms....an evening where a bunch of jokers like Westlife pick up an "award" and have their already bloated egos inflated even more. Like I said, no loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Will anyone really notice or miss it? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The day the coverage died.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Firetrap wrote: »
    Will anyone really notice or miss it? Seriously?

Generally, no. Except those of course who live for evenings like these, bimbo attention whores and poser boy glitterati with very little actual musical appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I went in 2008 as I won free tickets on Bebo (those were the days!) and all around was girls eyeing up the lads passing by and shouting "roide" and "Oi'd rape ya".

I never felt so ready to clock somebody with my fist.

They are the type of people that will miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the organisers obviously realise that the punters no longer have the cash. thats what its real point was - cash generation, taken from the general public. Nothing to do with decent music promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

When did Muse perform?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No surprise there, only **** bands win it, and I don't think they're prepared to give War Path a prize...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

i hate the fact that we don't have a decent televised music awards show like the kerrang awards or brit awards, there are lots of talented acts round the country and an awards show would be a decent way to get new fans,

not that i am saying the meteor awards were great, most of the same bands kept winning and it was rare for new local acts to be showcased, just the same acts from we see all the time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

No harm tbh, they do little else to promote Irish bands other than The Script and The Coronas who are as exciting as Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jamjamjim

As far as i'm concerned the day they made up an award to give Lionel Ritchie is the day Irish music died. Like come on, they basically give awards every year to whoever they can actually get to show up at the awards. Was always a joke and always will be.

Really think the likes of music review unsigned, balcony tv, zodiac sessions etc should collaberate on an unsigned irish bands awards. What you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

jamjamjim wrote: »
    As far as i'm concerned the day they made up an award to give Lionel Ritchie is the day Irish music died. Like come on, they basically give awards every year to whoever they can actually get to show up at the awards. Was always a joke and always will be.

Really think the likes of music review unsigned, balcony tv, zodiac sessions etc should collaberate on an unsigned irish bands awards. What you think?

icon14.gif sounds good to me mate, i'd love to see that happen, it's like everything else in the world, it starts with an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

jamjamjim wrote: »

There's HWCH, I haven't gone in recent years so I'm not sure what it's like now, but a showcase for independent bands, where you can listen, judge and tell 'yer mates if it's good trumps any award show imo.

Advertisement