Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat fight damage???

Options
  • 10-01-2011 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

Question....can cat fights (among cats obviously) cause that much damage?

I've arrived home this evening to find the loopier of my 2 cats is sitting still as a statue and won't eat. Won't come near me. She was absolutely fine this morning (as in, about 10am), but when I let them out, I definitely heard a fairly huge cat fight several minutes later. They both came running in the door as I was leaving the house, and I've been gone for the afternoon.

We are going for a trip to the vet when it opens at 5.30...I can't see any physical damage, but she's definitely not happy at all.She's gone from being a bouncy, friendly puss, who eats like a horse, to sitting deadly still and ignoring her food.

I hate bringing animals to the vet, as I don't deal well with it and neither do they (!), but no way would I leave her like this, I want to get her to the vet ASAP. Do you think a cat fight could have caused damage to make her like this, as I'm not sure what to say to the vet, other than "something's wrong...."??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Everytime I take mine to the vet its cause I have a weird feeling she is not well. And I'm right. The Vet will be used to 'something's wrong'. When my cat gets in a fight she goes off for some alone time and will not talk to us for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine that cat fights can indeed end with some nondescript injuries. Scratches and the like may get infected, particularly if they've been fighting with a stray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bolger the deaf white here is in the middle of a turf war with the tom next door. Ears attacked. Nose bitten and then to top it all jumped on by a stray terrier last week that he didn't hear coming from behind him.
    He is usually quiet and withdrawn for a while after each fight. Bigger the skirmish longer the quiet time but he always seems to bounce back when left alone to sort himself out. ( the terrier attack took 3 days to get over). There was tears after a nose biting incident
    7102ee01.jpg
    Guess he's a lot like a kid. If going to the vet makes you feel better then I would go. The vet won't think you're over reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Your definitely doing the right thing bringing her to a vet anyways, was it half 5 this evening or half 5 tomorrow your going? Better safe than sorry, it'l put your mind at ease anyways.

Cat fights can indeed be serious, especially attacks by large tom cats. I would make sure your girl's fully up to date with vaccinations if she is fighting with other cats. If it's a regular thing then consider trying to keep her indoors or cat proofing your garden as things like FIV (feline aids) cannot be vaccinated against and are passed on by cat's fighting. Can you feel all over her for any puncture wounds or scratches underneath her coat?

Good luck at the vets, hate going myself, stresses my girl out for days. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

5.30 today. Neither the cat nor I enjoyed that. He's not entirely sure what's wrong, couldn't pinpoint the spot but he said she was obviously in pain. Though he said it might have been because I caught it so early after the fight that he can't pinpoint it, it may manifest in 2 or 3 days.

He did ask did I know my neighbours - when I explained there's a lot of cats and yes, I know my neighbours very well (they're pretty much all cat people), he seemed happy enough that it probably was a fight and not a kick or a car accident :eek::eek::eek:. (I'm fairly certain it happened at the side of the house, which neither people nor cars are in, hence the cat fight)

Anyway, some long lasting antibiotics and painkillers later, he reckons she should be okay in 3 days and if not, to bring her back in for more injections.

I've a lot of stress in my life right now, and my poor little puss isn't happy at all, which makes me more upset...:(. (Mind you, her sister on the other hand is delighted with life!)

Thanks for your reponses though guys. I'm very definitely one of those who runs to the vet at the slightest hint of anything wrong. Whatever about how the cat feels, the stress of me worrying while I waited a couple of days to see if there was an improvement.... I couldn't handle that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

dan_d wrote: »
    5.30 today. Neither the cat nor I enjoyed that. He's not entirely sure what's wrong, couldn't pinpoint the spot but he said she was obviously in pain. Though he said it might have been because I caught it so early after the fight that he can't pinpoint it, it may manifest in 2 or 3 days.

He did ask did I know my neighbours - when I explained there's a lot of cats and yes, I know my neighbours very well (they're pretty much all cat people), he seemed happy enough that it probably was a fight and not a kick or a car accident :eek::eek::eek:. (I'm fairly certain it happened at the side of the house, which neither people nor cars are in, hence the cat fight)

Anyway, some long lasting antibiotics and painkillers later, he reckons she should be okay in 3 days and if not, to bring her back in for more injections.

I've a lot of stress in my life right now, and my poor little puss isn't happy at all, which makes me more upset...:(. (Mind you, her sister on the other hand is delighted with life!)

Thanks for your reponses though guys. I'm very definitely one of those who runs to the vet at the slightest hint of anything wrong. Whatever about how the cat feels, the stress of me worrying while I waited a couple of days to see if there was an improvement.... I couldn't handle that at all.

A knock by a car did cross my mind, would explain why no external signs of scratches/bites yet the pain.

Hope she get's back to her old self soon. I too hate that constant feeling of worrying when your pet's aren't themselves. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Just to update you, whatever the vet gave her was a success (or else it's natural cat resilience!).She's trotting around this morning, albeit a bit stiffly, but it's like a load off my mind. She's currently doing her usual morning deep clean session, while swiping at her sister as she walks past and purring a mile a minute.

Thanks for all your responses yesterday - she was a very unhappy little cat last night, it's like a whole new feline this morning!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

irish1967 wrote: »
    Bolger the deaf white here is in the middle of a turf war with the tom next door. Ears attacked. Nose bitten and then to top it all jumped on by a stray terrier last week that he didn't hear coming from behind him.

Would you not build a secure enclosure for your disadvantaged cat so he can enjoy his life without the risk of being torn apart in the street by a dog he doesn't hear coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

We live on a farm on a quiet cul de sac The farm next door has 5 tame cats. The lab in the house on the other side and the CKC opposite pay no head to Bolger. He gets out for his dander round from 8am-2pm everyday. He plays by the fish pond and climbs the big chestnut tree. He avoids the quiet road and is king of all he surveys.
    Building an enclosure because of the odd stray dog would freak him out. He'll be grand. He's a hardy wee buck. Yes he's deaf but he doesn't know it. :)

Advertisement