Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING - renters and rentees beware of scam

Options
  • 10-01-2011 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

i posted and ad on a certain website that rhymes with 'dumtree' saying that i was looking for a place to rent in a particular area. this is the edited version of the email conversation that followed between <miguelhilson.hilson9@gmail.com> (in red) and myself (in blue):
    i have a place for rent email me back if you still need one
    Yes we're still looking, could you provide some details?
    144 ******** Dublin 4, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    3 bedroom 2 bathroom Kitchen upgraded. Wood burning fireplace in Living Room All appliances including a dishwasher Includes Utilities 2 min walk to Shopping and Transit In-suite laundry Cable Wireless internet Easy access to public transportation
    Appreciate you getting back to me but we are looking for somewhere in ********.
    am very sorry that was a typo error and here is the right address
    128 ********, Greystones, Co. W, Greystones
    Could I get more details on this place?
    Hi
    thanks for your email..Rent is 700euro and council tax is 250euro ,i own it and it was due to my missionary trip that makes me, my wife and Daughter to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. So for now, We are here in the United Kingdom, our new house and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the House , i have the keys to the House and it is right here with me, and also the house documents....... Which I can send to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted.. Also I will like you to know that the rent charges is not really the issue ,but your absolute maintenance of my House is most important thing so i want you to get back to me with the Application form below
    RENT APPLICATION FORM
    1)Your Full Name
    2)Your Full Address & Phone Number
    3)Age
    4)Are you married
    5)How many people will be living in the house 6)Do you have a pet 7)Do you have a car 8)Occupation 9)When do you want to move in 10)How long do you want to stay in my House 11)Reason for moving out of Current home
    so If you are still interested, and .I personally will actually come visiting you some time during the year as our new tenant. Looking forward to hearing from you with all the details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.
    Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the keys of the house to you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i posted and ad on a certain website that rhymes with 'dumtree' saying that i was looking for a place to rent in a particular area. this is the edited version of the email conversation that followed between <miguelhilson.hilson9@gmail.com> (in red) and myself (in blue):
    i have a place for rent email me back if you still need one
    Yes we're still looking, could you provide some details?
    144 ******** Dublin 4, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    3 bedroom 2 bathroom Kitchen upgraded. Wood burning fireplace in Living Room All appliances including a dishwasher Includes Utilities 2 min walk to Shopping and Transit In-suite laundry Cable Wireless internet Easy access to public transportation
    Appreciate you getting back to me but we are looking for somewhere in ********.
    am very sorry that was a typo error and here is the right address
    128 ********, Greystones, Co. W, Greystones
    Could I get more details on this place?
    Hi
    thanks for your email..Rent is 700euro and council tax is 250euro ,i own it and it was due to my missionary trip that makes me, my wife and Daughter to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. So for now, We are here in the United Kingdom, our new house and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the House , i have the keys to the House and it is right here with me, and also the house documents....... Which I can send to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted.. Also I will like you to know that the rent charges is not really the issue ,but your absolute maintenance of my House is most important thing so i want you to get back to me with the Application form below
    RENT APPLICATION FORM
    1)Your Full Name
    2)Your Full Address & Phone Number
    3)Age
    4)Are you married
    5)How many people will be living in the house 6)Do you have a pet 7)Do you have a car 8)Occupation 9)When do you want to move in 10)How long do you want to stay in my House 11)Reason for moving out of Current home
    so If you are still interested, and .I personally will actually come visiting you some time during the year as our new tenant. Looking forward to hearing from you with all the details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.
    Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the keys of the house to you.

welcome to nigerian scams ,i get them every time i sell something on dumtree

just send him a small deposit via western union and he will send you the keys most urgently sir ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Garfromdublin

i was gonna send him my bank details but decided to reply with this:

Just before I complete the app form, can you answer a few questions for me:
    Are there any cats in the area and if so, what type? I have an allergy to tabby cats.
    What colour are the bins? I have a fear of the colour green.
    How big is the attic? Will there be enough room for a family of little people to live there?
    Is there underground parking, with a pole to slide down to get to? Like the batcave.
    Are the neighbours nice? I don't like nice people.
    How can I pay you? Will you accept a rubber cheque?
    And most importantly, when you do personally come visiting will you bring cake? I do like cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Why is this posted as a 'warning'? this is an obvious scam - do u think people are stupid?

Why is this posted as a 'warning'? this is an obvious scam - do u think people are stupid?

am i supposed to answer that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GRUMHERR

I don't get how its a scam... Guess i'm one of the idiots haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Not all people...but some people....what harm is he doing by warning those that are stupid enough....people like you just seem to want an argument all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

What do u mean by 'people like me'?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

What do u mean by 'people like me'?

people who want to turn a straight forward informative thread into an argument...thought I pointed that out in my original post. And believe me I wont get drawn into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Seems interesting to me. How would the scam unfold I wonder?

Just saw delllats comment - makes sense but you'd have to be pretty thick to send money without seeing the place in person...

also just to let you know that after googling the address, i found out that the place was actually for rent and called the owner just to let him know.

i'm a regular good Samaritan me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

you charmer, maybe let him know after you receive the keys and find everything satisfactory in the property you will send him two of your sisters and a cow as payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yes. It's a numbers game, eventually someone falls for it. There are plenty of stories of people being successfully suckered by even the most obvious scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

GRUMHERR wrote: »
    I don't get how its a scam...

The "Missionary" doesn't have a house to rent.
    He got an address off the internet (and didn't realise that "Co.W" should have been Co.Wicklow).
    He doesnt' know that there is no "Council Tax".
    He would either scam people into paying him rent
    or he would use the personal details they provide for fraudulent purposes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- I don't see that there is any merit in leaving this open.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement