Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLA Isomers Do they work

Options
  • 10-01-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi All

One of the guys i train with has just started taking SIS CLA ISOMERS as he wants to get his weight down before the season. My question is are they any good do they work or is another overpriced product that has no benefit and can it be dangerous?

Thanks
    Crash

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I used it for a period last year and I did tone up but I was doing a fair amount if weight training and watching my diet quite closely so it's hard to say how much/ if at all the CLA contributed towards my physique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cantalach

I'm really just thinking out loud here...but why is it acceptable to take this stuff to reduce body fat but completely unacceptable to take something like, say, clenbuterol to achieve the same effect? I'm thinking more from an ethical and moral perspective rather than the perspective of whether or not it's on the banned list. Is it just because clenbuterol has significant health risks that it is banned? If that's not the reason, then what is? In other words, at what point does a acceptable health supplement become a performance enhancing doping agent?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

cantalach wrote: »
    I'm really just thinking out loud here...but why is it acceptable to take this stuff to reduce body fat but completely unacceptable to take something like, say, clenbuterol to achieve the same effect? I'm thinking more from an ethical and moral perspective rather than the perspective of whether or not it's on the banned list. Is it just because clenbuterol has significant health risks that it is banned? If that's not the reason, then what is? In other words, at what point does a acceptable health supplement become a performance enhancing doping agent?

The smart arse answer is when WADA decide it is :rolleyes:

Generally the principle is that if the product confers an unfair advantage or is damaging to your health it is not allowed.

As a general rule be wary of all supplements if you are seriously racing and stick to ones for reputable and established companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

About two years ago I did loads of reading of research articles on these bad boys and I thought they were rubbish! There has been loads of research into putting them into milk or beef as a functional food. I think the effects were generally were not strong enough to enable them to be used like that. There have been bad effects too but the type of CLA mix or the dose may have been the culprit (mice losing all their adipose tissue but having savage liver deposits).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

RobFowl wrote: »
    The smart arse answer is when WADA decide it is :rolleyes:

Generally the principle is that if the product confers and unfair advantage or is damaging tot your health it is not allowed.

As a general rule be wary of all supplements if you are seriously racing and stick to ones for reputable and established companies.

To add, even supplements from established and reputable companies may have listed ingredients that are on the banned list as quite a few athletes have learned recently.

Advertisement