Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post winter service Q?.

Options
  • 10-01-2011 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering since things are tight these days.

A post winter service. Prior to this month the bike would go into the shop for a post winter check up and service, however this year funds are tight.

So is it worth my time spending an hour or two doing the service myself, and getting to know the in's and out's of the bike, or since this had been such a harsh winter should I leave it into the shop for a service?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You could certainly do the smaller jobs which don't required particular tools. E.g. Changing the cables/brake pads/adjusting gears. If something is broken/requires a particular tool, then may as well bring it in and just get that one part seen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's always worth spending time getting to know your bike. In the long run it'll save you money. In the short term it may cost you more if you have to buy tools.

To do a proper service can be more daunting (IMO) than assembling a bike from components. I can quite happily build a bike up but I still don't know what I'm doing with a cone spanner or a spoke key.

Depends how much time and patience you have.

Advertisement