Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dombrovski and Dombrovskaya?

Options
  • 10-01-2011 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Maybe this is the wrong forum but I'll give it a shot!

Dombrovski and Dombrovskaya, is that just the male and female version of the same surname or is it two comletely different surnames?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I speak Russian and while I've never heard that surname before I would make an educated guess at it being just the male and female versions of the same name. I just read a book where an Eastern European couple both had the female version and it really bugged me that the author hadn't bothered to do a tiny bit of research!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

elpipe wrote: »
    Maybe this is the wrong forum but I'll give it a shot!

Dombrovski and Dombrovskaya, is that just the male and female version of the same surname or is it two comletely different surnames?

I know "ski" is male and "ska" is the female form of rendering a name in many slavic languages. Your particular example is "skaya" though so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 elpipe

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I speak Russian and while I've never heard that surname before I would make an educated guess at it being just the male and female versions of the same name. I just read a book where an Eastern European couple both had the female version and it really bugged me that the author hadn't bothered to do a tiny bit of research!

From what I know "-ski" is the male version and "-ska" is usually the female version, but I have never heard of "-skaya" before.

Ha, yeah, that's bad. A lot writers seem to make these annoying mistakes when dealing with foreign languages/cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

It could be two different surnames or Polish and Russian version of the same surname.
    Male version: Dumbrovki / Dumbrovskij
    Female version: Dumbrovska / Dumbrovskaja -aya or whatever the spelling is

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I forgot to check this thread after I responded the first time. Totally agree - in Polish and Czech - ski/ska, in Russian, skaya is a very common feminine ending for names, adjectives, etc. You also see ov/ova as in Gorbachov/Gorbachova.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Yarp, male/female name ending
    Unlike English, Female names virtually always end in a in slavic languages.
    Mightn't occur to you at first, but could be handy to know.;)

The Sky/Skaya is not constant, can change similar to O', Mac, Mc, but it's a
    "familia/surname", we interpet the -skaya as meaning 'of' the same way we do in Irish.
    So Romanovskaya, would be a female descendent of Roman/Romanov.

They have a separate system for patronymics, you can read about Russian Patronymics here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronymic#Russian

Think of the song "Essen" by Verka Serduchka , near the end, he says "Romanovskaya, ty hochesh seks?"
    :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYVSYvCEcek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

elpipe wrote: »
    From what I know "-ski" is the male version and "-ska" is usually the female version, but I have never heard of "-skaya" before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_name_affixes
    As a general rule:
    -ski (Polish, Bulgarian, Macedonian. Also Russian but more often transliterated as -sky), "originating from", "estate of"
    -ska (Polish, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Ukrainian) Feminine equivalent of -ski
    -ská (Czech, Slovak) Feminine equivalent of -ský
    -skaya (Russian) Feminine equivalent of -sky
    -skyi, -skiy (Ukrainian)
    -sky (Russian)
    -ský (Czech, Slovak)

Doesn't always hold true tho.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2010/10/poland_and_lithuania
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

yes

they are polish surnames (Dombrowski/Dombrowska) that have been russified.

Advertisement