Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering materials :D

Options
  • 09-01-2011 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi all

am wondering if any one can help here :(
    i tried to answer some exams papers hare but i didnt anderstand some of them
    i really Ippreciate if any one can help or even give me the formulas to answer those questions:

1) a 6m diameter cylinder has a mas of 5000kg and is 5m long is immeresed with a specific gravity of 0.8
    determine the following:
    • Horizontal force
    • Vertical Force
    2) A centrifugal pump delivers 0.3m^3/s of water at 1400 rpm the total effective head is 20m.
    the impeller is 30cm in diameter and 32mm wide at the exit, and is designed for constant velocity of flow. Both the suction and delivery pipes have the same bore. calculate the following vane angles:
    • for the impeller vanes at exite
    • for entry to the stationery vanes surrounding the impeller
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

re (1): it's a Buoyancy question. You have an object immersed in a fluid, and you want to know the resultant force: weight (W) minus buoyancy force (B).
    - the downwards weight force due to gravity is W = m g ; m is the mass of the cylinder.
    - the basic formula for the buoyancy force: B = -ρ V g, where ρ is the density of the fluid and V is the displaced volume. You need to calculate the volume of the cylinder, of course: V = π r² h .
    - so the resultant F= W-B. Watch the sign on the answer ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement