Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 - 19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) - Signal out of Range

Options
  • 09-01-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Howdy,

Car won't start due to the following error in VAG-COM:

19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) - Signal out of Range

Car's a 03 1.9Tdi Audi A6 - got the timing belt changed in June 2010, had no problems until today.

From earlier research (googling) it's either the timing belt is off by a few teeth or the sensor is faulty.

If any one's experienced with changing / replacing the sensor, I'd greatly appreciate some info. Looking to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

lordlame wrote: »
    Howdy,

Car won't start due to the following error in VAG-COM:

19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) - Signal out of Range

Car's a 03 1.9Tdi Audi A6 - got the timing belt changed in June 2010, had no problems until today.

From earlier research (googling) it's either the timing belt is off by a few teeth or the sensor is faulty.

If any one's experienced with changing / replacing the sensor, I'd greatly appreciate some info. Looking to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks

The sensor is reasonably straight forward to change. It would be vastly more likely thats its the sensor rather then a timing belt issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Is it in the engine bay or under the rocker hood?

Edit: thinking of the wrong engine..

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Id put my money on this being an alignment problem with cmp/ckp location.
    This is an awx engine code right??
    The cam/ckp sensors on these do not normally give much trouble but the synch of cam and crank is critical for start and there is a small alignment window.
    The cam sensor is between the t-belt cover and head and is triggered from a disc behind the cam pulley.
    I'd go back to the garage that fitted the belt and see if they used the correct alignment tools and if not it will have to be done.
    Any coolant loss?

Btw it will probably start if you disconnect the cam sensor

The car wouldn't have driven perfectly for 6 months with the timing off enough to prevent it starting now!

Also changing the timing belt doesn't effect the cam sensor pick up point.

• Advertisement

I got it done by shivf on here.

Any pics on where it is exactly, I've been googling like a mofo with no luck.

Item 21 in image is cam sensor
    The car wouldn't have driven perfectly for 6 months with the timing off enough to prevent it starting now!

If the timing belt is fitted without the correct locking tools it may be close to the limits of a no start condition. Any further wear/bedding in of the belt or water pump can be enough to cause a no start.

Changing the timing belt using the correct tools ensures that the cam and crank are locked and therefore the respective signals are correctly synchronized, if the tools are not used and the cam pulley bolts not loosened it is not possible to have correct timing or belt tension.
    I'm sure you have seen someone attempt to fit a nissan timing chain with tippex and seen what the end result is. (similar)

Removed the sensor, car running fine

OK - car won't start now, could be the belt off by a tooth or two.

Any recommend indo audi mechanics?

If the car is now no start with the sensor disconnected your timing problem has progressed.
    You really need to have the cam timing checked again!
    I would imagine most workshops would have the correct locking tools

• Advertisement

I've rang half of Dublin to get this sorted, either too busy or too long of a wait (27th of January, what the **** like )

Any update?? Did you get it sorted??

crosshair1 wrote: »
    Any update?? Did you get it sorted??

Yes - belt was off by a tooth or two in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

on the tdi pd it dose as the can gear is on slots and the pointers for the pick up are on the back of the gear and if you get a guy that changes the belt by just marking everything up instead of using the correct locking tools the cam shaft may be out very slightly seen it a few times over the years.

Advertisement