Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling O2 contract

Options
  • 09-01-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

my wife is tied into an 18 month iPhone contract with o2 until Sept of this year. The coverage where we live is truly awful and so she wants out. My question is can she cancel her contract because of the poor coverage and if she can who takes possesion of the iPhone after the cancellation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

What does T&C say?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Had a look at T & C online and couldn't see anything specific. Mind you it's Sunday night / Monday morning so I might have missed something . Hoping someone has previous experience with same issue and knows the ins and outs of it.
    mad m wrote: »
    What does T&C say?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not unless she was promised excellent coverage in that area / pointed out she lived in that area and can back up said claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

It depends on how poor the coverage is. I have been through this and was a lengthy enough process, although they were helpful, they did try a lot to keep me as a customer as long as possible.

Moved to o2 from Vodafone, signal went from decent to almost nil. There was a spot in one bedroom with signal, or else I could walk halfway down my road and get reception.

I got onto them through the TalktoO2 forum on their site. They gave me a reference number, sent out a technician to check the area and eventually admitted that it was a black spot, after maybe 4 months back and forth. The final straw was when my father was taken to hospital and no one in my family could get through to me about it. A couple of days after that I went back online and was a 'bit' more adamant. Eventually they voided the contract so I was free to move networks, but they wouldn't unlock my phone - at the time they didn't unlock iPhones under any circumstance, they do now at the end of contracts so they may do it in your case, if it's an iPhone.

Edit: just saw in your OP about it being an iPhone. I kept the phone, I had a feeling they dragged out the process for 4 months into the contract to claw back the cost of the handset, although I could be wrong on that.

Advertisement