Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment Medical and Depression

Options
  • 09-01-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could advise me. I have been offered a job pending a medical examination in a large company.

Anyway what I'm wondering is, will I have to disclose that I am suffering from depression and that I am on medication for it. I don't want work to know about my personal life, I don't feel it will have any bearing on my work but then again I don't know.

any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is probably better in the Work Problems forum rather than PI, but mods feel free to move it back if you think otherwise.

OP, you can still post unregged in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jamas

Its a really difficult one! You are unlikely not to be asked the question "Are you on any medication". If you lie, then that is falsifying information and not good. Can you have a good argument ready for the doctor (perhaps with backup from your GP) to say that you are fully competent to do the job required and the medication / your depression will not impact, and therefore it is not relevant. Good luck! And, it is appalling that in 2010, being in treament for mental health carries a possible stigma which physical health does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

As far as I'm aware, you can disclose anything you want to the GP - he/she only has to certify that you are able to do the job.
    He is not allowed to disclose any confidential patient information.

You should probably mention that you are on medication because in my experience, you will have to provide a urine sample for the medical.
    Best of luck and try not to worry - I'm sure it won't affect your ability to do the job or the certification from the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tbh, I am slightly worried. I thought that the GP had to report back on their findings as they are employed by the company to do a job??

I am very reluctant to disclose any information, but at the same time I am afraid that any test/s they might do might show up that I am on medication.

I don't think my current state would affect my ability to do the job, but as I said before I don't know. I am in the first place reluctant to take the job, I don't want to let anyone down...

I should have spoken to my own GP about this...Can they request notes from my GP or anything like that...??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi med102, as I said in another recent thread - depression is considered a disability, not an illness. Therefore there is more of an onus on employers to accommodate you - unless as JustMary clarified, there is a very solid reason why having depression might affect your ability to do your job - which doesn't seem to be the case.

I can understand why you don't want to disclose this information though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement