Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Streak 5 Tablet

Options
  • 09-01-2011 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

Was thinking of buying this off pixmania / dell.co.uk ( why dont they sell it in ireland).

I like the form factor of it and apparently it has got 2.2 now aswell , I dont think I will use it as a phone at all other than maybe for browsings.

Anyone recommend any alternatives or any good / bad points about this device that they may have know??

I noticed theyve launched a 10 inch version at CES but I think that is too big personally

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hi,

Was thinking of buying this off pixmania / dell.co.uk ( why dont they sell it in ireland).

I like the form factor of it and apparently it has got 2.2 now aswell , I dont think I will use it as a phone at all other than maybe for browsings.

Anyone recommend any alternatives or any good / bad points about this device that they may have know??

I noticed theyve launched a 10 inch version at CES but I think that is too big personally

Thanks

I got a Dell Streak a few days ago and really lovin it.
    It comes with 1.6 but as soon as you connect up to the web 2.2 is waiting to download over the air
    For me its just right size tablet that can also be as a phone without feeling like its over sized and still giving you a huge screen and market acess.

If You have any questions about its I am happy to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 wishihadalife

Cheers for the reply,

If you dont mind me asking who did you get it from and how much did you pay , I have been looking at pixmania and the dell english site and it seems to be between 400-500 , is this about what you paid?

Also you havent found it sluggish at all or noticed any compatibility issues with it? I would intend to only use it for browsing thus why I am having second thoughts about buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

they all have a 7" version on the way as well, actually a lot of companies have 7" tablets on the way which will be a lot better then the current streak. If you can find a demo Galaxy Tab in a shop see what you think of the 7" form factor

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

I personally would wait it out and wait for the one of the tablets that has Honeycomb pre-installed. Don't know any release dates for any yet but they sure do look like a fine bit of kit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Cheers for the reply,

If you dont mind me asking who did you get it from and how much did you pay , I have been looking at pixmania and the dell english site and it seems to be between 400-500 , is this about what you paid?

Also you havent found it sluggish at all or noticed any compatibility issues with it? I would intend to only use it for browsing thus why I am having second thoughts about buying it

A friend of a friend got a few in the USA so worked out about 300 euro i think. Not a fan of paying more than that but at the same time when you get this thing in your hands it does feel worth it.
    I think the combo of a really nice screen on a 5'' tablet/phone with full market and 3G acess make it worth it over something like the archos 5, but thats just my feelings on it and I understand not everyone wants 'on the go' acess.

As for sticking, well the Skype app gave me some probs in that it can make the tablet hang but killing the app sorts it out. so far thats the only thing as texts and IM's are fine.

Funny thing is my SGS may kick it's tail in app testing 3D scores but so far this thing runs angry birds far better and faster than it.
    I would go so far as to say android feels much faster on the Streak than on my SGS and they are both on 2.2

The Dell stage is just horroble and it as gone form the unit as soon as 2.2 was installed and thankfully there are loads of better looking ones anyway on the market.

I have heard the next Streak, 7'' will have a Dual Core CPU but no SIM/3G... it could a a few months away however. I'm sure the market will be hacked on to it too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement