Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE (In Case of Emergency) Number - Used?

Options
  • 09-01-2011 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭

I vaguely remember a campaign about this a few years ago.
    The idea being that people should put an entry in their mobile phone with the name ICE, with the emergency number to be rang In Case of Emergency (I think that's what the initials stood for).

Out of interest do police/ambulance crews etc look for this as a matter of course? If I was knocked down crossing a dual carriage way or found unconscious down an alley after a mugging would you look in my mobile phone for this number. Or did the campaign just not take off and you don't bother?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

I vaguely remember a campaign about this a few years ago.
    The idea being that people should put an entry in their mobile phone with the name ICE, with the emergency number to be rang In Case of Emergency (I think that's what the initials stood for).

Out of interest do police/ambulance crews etc look for this as a matter of course? If I was knocked down crossing a dual carriage way or found unconscious down an alley after a mugging would you look in my mobile phone for this number. Or did the campaign just not take off and you don't bother?

Paramedics would be be treating you and concentrating on getting you to the appropriate facility, I would give your wallet and phone to the gardai or hospital staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you were mugged, you probably wouldn't still have your phone...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

i wouldn't even think about it, i'd try to find out your name and a few other details, but if i couldn't get that of a bystander then i would just forget it.

i think if you remained unconscious, or worse, then the gardai or hospital staff would have to look on your phone for some info, and maybe ICE would be useful for them.

to sum up: not relevant for ambulance crews. (in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Many people keep their phones locked so accessing the content isn't always easy.
    As mentioned, if you were conscious then you could give the info, if not then there's something going on so Paramedics would be concentrating on that.
    I have been in the Emergency Department when access to phones has been attempted, sometimes successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I have used it in two cases for first aid on two extremely intoxicated individuals. In both cases, the numbers were handed over to the paramedics and by the time the ambulance was leaving the depot, the spouse was on their way to the scene/hospital.

It works. But only in certain cases and sometimes rarely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Not a paramedic here. But any situation like that I've ever been involved in just used the last dialed if it was in a decent time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

there is another scheme in britain called the 'message in a bottle scheme'
    http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/News/Archives/2006/August/Message+In+a+Bottle.htm

in this scheme all your medical info is kept in your bottle (and then put in your fridge, although that wouldn't help you if you got ill in the shops!)

i seem to remember that there may have been a similar scheme here, but without a bottle.

i think these schemes are good ideas, but, unless there is a universal take-up, they won't work.

Advertisement