Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy birthday David Bowie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

"it was cold and it rained so I felt like an actor"

I love that lyric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭cathal_flynn

love bowie , hes is awesome!
    only started listening to his stuff recently , im hooked..... :P

i used his cd's in hmv to cover all the juistin beiber cds today , god bless you mister bowie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Happy Birthday Bowie! I find David Bowie is a handy gauge of a person's taste in music. If they don't like him or worse don't know him, then you can be sure their taste is very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Taz86

Happy birthday David. You're the greatest :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrmiDWzGvSI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yesterday would also have been the King's birthday - and Bowie said he offered him the following song to perform, but Elvis turned it down. Shame - would have really suited Elvis:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Happy Birthday David

Have being a Bowie fan since he first hit the charts with Starman, Life on mars and Golden years and followed his career all the way after .

Interesting story I was working on the Liverpool -Isle of Man ferry and Rick Wakemen , who lives in the IOM was a regular passenger and use to sometimes sit in standard section of ship , having a snooze and would say hello .Then I remembered , it's him playing the lovely piano piece throughout and at the end of Bowies Life on Mars :)

Bowie said he was so out of it he couldn't remember most of 1975 and would have being hanging out with Lennon and Harry Nielson ( also out of their trees most of 75 ) with Lennon helping out with vocals on Fame ......wachaname ..wachaname..wachaname

Edit-song also reminds me of a girl I had a massive crush on at the time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A girl with mousey hair per chance...? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Uncanny Dudess , you must have remembered my other Bowie post of a year or two ago :pac:

( yes she was mousey ( sigh) but then she went all blonde on me ) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

He has covered some great songs

I like this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I checked out hansa when I was in berlin a few years ago but it's hard to imagine it with the wall still there.

David Bowie - Sweet Thing - Candidate - Sweet thing (Reprise)

Cracked Actor

Heroes/Helden

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

CDfm, I'm guessing from the screenshot that song is "Wild Is The Wind"? If so, great choice.

I absolutely love Bowie's stuff. Every album of his from the 70's is brilliant, quite an achievement considering the difference in styles and how stoned he was for a great part of it.

I love this performance (love the concert too) of one of my favourite Bowie songs:

CDfm, I'm guessing from the screenshot that song is "Wild Is The Win

Close, its the Drowned Girl from the Baal EP, a Bertholt Brecht song the guy who wrote Alabama Song/Whiskey Bar.

Bowie used to do a lot of Jacques Brel & Brecht. He does this one almost in plain chant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

what a coincidence. some of his earlier tunes were in my head today, stuff of the original images album. didnt know it was his birthday. a god.
    great thread. nice clips.

incredible how modern his photos/personas still are. even still ahead of a lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Genius.:cool:

ArtSmart wrote: »
    what a coincidence. some of his earlier tunes were in my head today,

I hope it wasn't Please Mr Gravedigger :eek:

The Little Bombadier & Rubber Band are great songs.

Rumour had it that he was re-recording his early stuff for a CD before his health scare a few years back.

CDfm wrote: »
    I hope it wasn't Please Mr Gravedigger :eek:

The Little Bombadier & Rubber Band are great songs.

Rumour had it that he was re-recording his early stuff for a CD before his health scare a few years back.

Out of his pre 'David Bowie' or Space Oddity Album days - 'London Boys' is the standout track for me. 'Love you till tuesday' (of which the german version 'Lieb mich bis dienstag' is quite funny) is also passable but London boys was the one that showed singing and lyrical promise imo.

Morlar wrote: »
    Out of his pre 'David Bowie' or Space Oddity Album days - 'London Boys' is the standout track for me. 'Love you till tuesday' (of which the german version 'Lieb mich bis dienstag' is quite funny) is also passable but London boys was the one that showed singing and lyrical promise imo.

There was a big jump from "Karma Man" to "God Knows I'm Good " on Space Oddity.

The fun part of being a Bowie fan has always been that he is very open about his influences in a ' if you like this, you might like that kind of way"

or a troubador like Anthony Newley or Jacques Brel (even Tommy Steele)for stagecraft

• Advertisement

actually it was 'let me sleep beside you' and 'in the heat of the morning' great tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

not the biggest Bowie fan, but StationtoStation and Low are genius.

What has happened to him - is he ill, has he retired? His last album was in 2003 and he was on quite a prolific streak at that time, but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Twas Robby Kreiger's birthday aswell

and mine too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Banjara

Seems like he has been laying low (pardon the pun) since his illness with a few guest appearances e.g with Arcade Fire, David Gilmour.

Last I heard is that he is soon to publish a book called 'Object' in which he discusses 100 things that have inspired his writing processes. Not sure when it is due to be released though.

Like many fans, I have missed the recent lack of output and would sooooo love to see him live again ...sigh!!

When he is on form he is hard to beat

This is from "hours" in 1999

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dublin Hibby

1973, 13 years old, Empire on the Bridges in Edinburgh, life changing moment. Totally blown away. Long may he continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Five years:
    A girl my age went off her head, hit some tiny children
    If the black hadnt a-pulled her off, I think she would have killed them
    A soldier with a broken arm, fixed his stare to the wheels of a cadillac
    A cop knelt and kissed the feet of a priest, and a queer threw up at the sight of that

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour, drinking milk shakes cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine, dont think
    You knew you were in this song
    Love those lyrics - "dont think you knew you were in this song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jambjm4yc&feature=player_detailpagehttp://

wow sierra wrote: »
    Five years:
    Love those lyrics - "dont think you knew you were in this song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jambjm4yc&feature=player_detailpagehttp://

great song. but are the lyrics not 'i swear she would have killed them'?

long time, but i think it is.

ETA i see a google lyric search says 'think', but i em, think, it's wrong

Advertisement