Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Student in need of a summer job

Options
  • 08-01-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So Im in desperate need of some experience within engineering and a summer job.
    Im currently in 3rd year in Mechanical Engineering in UCD.

I mainly need the job as a source of finance. Have come into financial difficulties and possibly won't be able to afford to go into 4th year, due to accommodation costs and the introduction of an increase in fees.

However I'm also in bad need of some experience with an engineering company.

It's near on impossible to find a summer internship or work placement in Ireland.
    Anyone got any suggestions/advice/summer job vacancies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Put in the effort and get a good CV, and go ask as many engineering companies as you can. Also ask some of your lectures if there is anything going, and ask them to let you know if they here of anything.

If you know anyone who works in an engineering company also ask them if they can try help you out and see if they can ask for you, often having a contact as such is the best way to get something.

Final bit of advice would be don't be too specific on the area that you are looking at, Mechanical Engineering gives you a wide range of skills and are employed in many different areas.

I got lucky in 3rd year, and applied for a job within UCD, and spend the summer working up there, it also helped me get a PhD with the same lecturer last year which was nice!

Advertisement