Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPL 2011

Options
  • 08-01-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

Time for an IPL thread?

If tahir spinner comes good they could be one hell of an attack.
    Steyn, Morkel, Kallis, Tahir and Harris.
    Pace, swing and spin both ways.

Looks like a winner to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Swanny and Anderson don't attract any bids at the auction....not surprised....no one's going to waste money on England players if the ECB are only going to make them available for 1 or 2 weeks at the most....actually quite surprised that KP actually got a bid!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Eoin went to Kolkata for 350,000

Top 5
    Gautam Gambhir India Kolkata Knight Riders 2400000 Yusuf Pathan India Kolkata Knight Riders 2100000 Robin Uthappa India Pune Warriors 2100000 Rohit Sharma India Mumbai Indians 2000000 Irfan Pathan India Delhi Daredevils 1900000

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Some good buys there, but Gambhir for 2.4m?, when you could have Warner for 750,000 or Ryan ten Doeschate for 50,000 or Ross Taylor for 1m,

still this is shaping to be the best IPL, and it will be interesting to see Bhaji and Symonds on the same team,

and also Collingwood got sold for 250,000 to the Rajasthan Royals, another player that doesn't seem like a big hitter to me, but he will be there with Warne, and it will be nice to see Warne again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 votelawrence

A bizarre auction from the royal challengers; to let Steyn, Kallis and Ross Taylor go and then bidding nearly 2 million for Saurabh Tiwary. The prices bid seem to have far more to do with nationality than with talent.

the Indian players are over inflated but people go to the grounds to watch the big names in Indian cricket, they are the primary draw for fans and sponsorship. There were some very odd bids though, Botha for 950,000 seems ridiculously high when Vettori went for 550,000. There were a lot of overseas bargains picked up and I'm going to be laughing for quite some time about Chris Gayle not getting signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

There is an Indian player quota tough isn't there?
    And also the marketing potential of Indian Test players.
    Its no surprise that Gautam should take down big money.

Also, He scores loads of runs.....

d'Oracle wrote: »
    There is an Indian player quota tough isn't there?

the squad has to have at least 16 players 10 of these may be from abroad
    but only 4 may play. There has to be at least 8 Indian players in the side 2 of whom must be from the BCCI under 22 pool

Also I was reading the unsold player list, and they had a Niall O'Brien in the list, is that the Irish version?,

but Lara and Gayle didn't get in, some big surprises with this IPL auction, especially Gayle not getting a bid, after getting a 61 from 30 ball innings and breaking a Big Bash record on the way with one over going for 32 (6-6-6-4-4-6)...

that was the irish Niall O'Brien, he may still be picked up. players can still be signed but can't make more than 66,000 odd as far as I know. The West Indies programme doesn't really fit in with the IPL the next two seasons which is why a lot of the windies players didn't get picked up. Lara was just overpriced really 400,000 for someone who's basically been retired for a couple of years now was probably seen as too big a risk. the interesting one was that one of the cricinfo 5 players to watch Stevens wasn't picked up at all.

@ TheDrog, can any Irish player be called into the IPL?, or any player from any Cricket Nation?, just curious how Niall just popped up in the list, and no other Irish players, well Morgan was there ;)

and if Owais Shah can get a team than there is hope for the entire Irish team,

well Lara has been playing a bit of 20/20 for the Southern Rocks in the Stanbic Bank 20 Series, and he had some decent scores, then it was over the top for him and Ganguly to put themselves in the highest base bracket, it's a pity all the same :)...

• Advertisement

any player can enter but I think they cut some of them before a final list is made available to the franchises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

About the only interesting element of the IPL (in my opinion anyway).
    US$2.4m for a little ball of attitude called Gambhir? Strange but all above board . . . probably . . . well, maybe . . . surely?

$900,000 for somebody called Daniel Christian!!.....apparently he's an all rounder from Australia......I'm telling you there's no value for money nowadays:(

JustinDee wrote: »
    About the only interesting element of the IPL (in my opinion anyway).
    US$2.4m for a little ball of attitude called Gambhir? Strange but all above board . . . probably . . . well, maybe . . . surely?

I'm having trouble understanding why people don't get this.
    He is an awesome batsman and he is indian.

There is nothing strange about this.

Cremated wrote: »
    but Lara and Gayle didn't get in, some big surprises with this IPL auction, especially Gayle not getting a bid, after getting a 61 from 30 ball innings and breaking a Big Bash record on the way with one over going for 32 (6-6-6-4-4-6)...

Simple enough reason for that....West Indies host Pakistan in April while the IPL is on....No franchise is going spend a million on Gayle if he's only going to be available for 2 or 3 macthes....Most of the franchises have wised up to the availibility of foreign players....so no surprise that Gayle didn't get any bids

booth70 wrote: »
    $900,000 for somebody called Daniel Christian!!.....apparently he's an all rounder from Australia......I'm telling you there's no value for money nowadays:(

he hit 53 off 53 against england last night

good article about him here http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/457821.html

he's very higly rated in all forms of the game

I'm having trouble understanding why people don't get this.
    He is an awesome batsman and he is indian.

There is nothing strange about this.
    Hardly the best average in the IPL or twenty over game. Just took a peek in cricinfo. There is nothing to suggest that he is double the value of better batsmen in the comp.
    Not the most reliable out there and is going to get flattened one of these days when he next tries to shoulder the bowler again.

I just find it dodgy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Hardly the best average in the IPL or twenty over game. Just took a peek in cricinfo. There is nothing to suggest that he is double the value of better batsmen in the comp.
    Not the most reliable out there and is going to get flattened one of these days when he next tries to shoulder the bowler again.

I just find it dodgy.

I reckon it's a bums-on-seats thing, he draws a crowd. What do you think is dodgy about it?

Thats part of it.
    We are talking about a commercial tournament, with commerical franchise teams. Indian Test batsmen get people in the gate and sell licence.

Also, the indian player thing.

Also, T20 is not some magically different sport.
    Its short cricket.
    Gambhir is a player who can score runs fast.
    And an average of just below 30 is reasonable in t20.
    Sure he could and probably will do better.

TBH I can't see how this is dodgy, or strange.
    Unless ones personal opinion of a players character is a factor.
    Which would be silly.

I just find it dodgy.

I just think their is better value out there, Michael Hussey ($425,000), Cameron White ($1.1m), David Warner ($750,000), Brendon McCullum ($475,000), Ryan ten Doeschate ($150,000)

not saying these guys are better players overall, but for 20/20 I think they are the better options, time will tell...

• Advertisement

Gambhir has a good T20 strike rate and is a proper opening batsman, most teams like to have one player who can hold down an end for much of the innings and give a platform to build on. he balances that side out quite well. Himself and Kallis have the technique, Eoin has the ability to keep the fielding side on the back foot. Tiwary and Pathan attack with Haddin, RTD and Al Hasan as well the side has a good balance. Plus he is a big name, in form Indian International and they will have hoped his signing would distract from the fact they sensibly avoided signing Ganguly.

Also Cremated I think the point needs to be made that although you may fel there are better players out there who didn't go for as much the players you mention are all overseas players and there is a squad cap, if you have have to have Indian players you have to pay more for them. There are a lot of good overseas players in the draw there are only a certain amount of Indian T20 internationals so that has to be where your money goes first.

TBH I can't see how this is dodgy, or strange.
    Unless ones personal opinion of a players character is a factor.
    Which would be silly.

With regards to the US$2.4m bid, I don't give a stuff about his character. He is worth nowhere near the amount.
    Standout player of the tournament? I don't think so.
    Biggest crowd puller, sponsor draw and standout player? Not by a long shot. He's not even the standout Indian player.

Just my opinion of course. Ignore at will.

Here's the full list of players signed up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_IPL_Players_Auction

Some interesting personalities thrown together by the auction...Symo and Bhajji for the Mumbai Indians & Warney and Colly for the Royals

Much as one derides the IPL I think its a great tournament and here to stay:)..and the best thing to happen in cricket in recent times....its great to see players from different countries gel together....The only complaint I have about it is its duration....if they could only condense it to a 3-4 week event rather than the 7-8 weeks or whatever it goes on for....also with that goon Modi outta the picture thankfully there will be no more irritating shots of him on TV between overs!!!

With regards to the US$2.4m bid, I don't give a stuff about his character. He is worth nowhere near the amount.
    Standout player of the tournament? I don't think so.
    Biggest crowd puller, sponsor draw and standout player? Not by a long shot. He's not even the standout Indian player.

Just my opinion of course. Ignore at will.

This is unacceptable.
    I demand that you change your opinion to come in line with mine, immediately.

This is the internet.

Regards

d'Oracle.

This is unacceptable.
    I demand that you change your opinion to come in line with mine, immediately.

This is the internet.

Regards

d'Oracle.

I said ignore! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Irfan Pathan for nearly 2 million???:pac::pac:

A couple of years maybe, but the guy is a shell of his former self these days.:(

Just looking at that list Kochi are going to be very reliant on McCullum and murali

Advertisement