Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gonna buy an ipad? might wana hold off for a few weeks

Options
  • 08-01-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

kevin rose is blogging that he has been told that the ipad two will be announced in the next 3/4 weeks featuring front and back cameras and a retina display. not sure if that means it will be available that day(probably not come to think of it)

just a heads up for people who might want to hold off for now

i reckon ill be waiting till summer so i can compare the new android tabs with the ipad 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I doubt it will have a retina display and keep to the same price point. We shall see though. I doubt there will be enough of a reason to jump up from 1 to 2. I'll hold off until 3 more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Apple will have to do something big for the ipad 2 as even if some of the dual core 1ghz good android tablets displayed at ces come out the market will turn like the phone one did and thats bad for apple.

Side note - Kevin rose is great but didnt he name and announce that google me was coming months ago and its still not here?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kevin Rose is full-of it..

.. he also said the iPhone 4 would have an FM radio! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

well he dosnt have anything to do with google or apple so anythign he does say is just heard on the grapevine

probably a more connected grapevine than most though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

He's been right and wrong in the past. And right about specifics, not obvious stuff like "Apple will release a new iPhone this year." But he's not an employee, he's a well connected blogger.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My understanding is that it wont be available until mid summer... this is why I bought the iPad on day 1... it wasnt that I am a fan boi (I'm not) but because it will be at least a year before its replaced by Apple who will simply string people along with a long run up and then a delay.

Here's my prediction, if we dont see something pretty strong from Google shortly then it will be 5-6 months before anyone here has their hands on iPad 2 and probably more like 8-9.

DeV.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Retina Display will be too expensive to incorporate into an iPad with seriously cutting into profits..

.. and for that reason, I don't see it happen.

I can see a camera, and not a whole lot else. And I don't think we'll see it before the Summer.

Camera, near-field stuff, no retina display or any kind of resolution bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

2 cameras i can see, but a retina display is almost certainly out of the question. I read somewhere that the ipad would have more pixels than the old apple 30" cinema display? (maths can figure that one). I'd say the screen will be improved, but not retina display.

I also heard a usb port, and a flatter back, looking similar to current ipod touches. Hopefully a usb port may include a software update to give more support to the current one with the camera connector kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

if you have not bought an ipad up to now wait. Worth seeing that the new one has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I haven't bought a current ipad because I think the pricing is insane. The one you'd want is the 64 gig one, which is about 100 dollars short of an entry level macbook, which is mental in my opinion. And the 499 euro entry level one with 16 gig is pants. A couple of albums, two movies and a few photographs and the thing'll be full :rolleyes:

If a new entry level one came out with a facetime/skype front camera, and 32 gigs storage, for 499, it'd be a much more palatable and justifiable prospect.

For me at any rate.

It's a pity they are so expensive. Because they are fabulous to use. Because of the price tag I've bought none. But if the ipad entry level was lower - or if they discounted the current one in the future, instead of deleting it as they usually do, then I'd buy several. I'd buy one for my mother, my mother in law, one for myself, maybe one for the kids... For the likes of older technophobe parents who just want to check email and book the odd ryanair flight, they are a fantastically user-friendly and intuitive piece of technology, but, as I've said.... the price tag vomits all over those good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Apple will have to do something big for the ipad 2 as even if some of the dual core 1ghz good android tablets displayed at ces come out the market will turn like the phone one did and thats bad for apple.

Side note - Kevin rose is great but didnt he name and announce that google me was coming months ago and its still not here?

Dual core Tablets?? Apple would want to get its ass in gear Android phones are bitting on it heels or even surpassing it imo like the motorola Atrix 4g (dual core ;) ) i would take this over an iPad everyday of the week, come on Apple what have you got

Motorola Atrix (must watch video) So far this is looking like my next phone :cool:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/motorola-atrix-4g-hd-multimedia-dock-and-laptop-dock-hands-on/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wouldn't put much weight in what Rose says, but I do think we'll see the iPad 2 sooner rather than later. Not February, but maybe March. The current iPad was released in the US in April last year. It's not going to be a later than that imo. Apple don't want to be dealing with iPhone and iPad releases too close together. The summer is for the iPhone.

And I doubt we'll see a repeat of the massive delays that resulted in us not getting it until July. We'll probably get it a month or so after the US.

So for anyone considering getting an iPad, I would probably recommend waiting as well.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Because of the price tag I've bought none. But if the ipad entry level was lower - or if they discounted the current one in the future, instead of deleting it as they usually do, then I'd buy several.
    Not gonna happen unfortunately. The price will stay the same, but they may bump the storage. However, you'll probably be able to get the previous gen iPad from the refurb store for a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

What do we make of this then!?

Seems like apple may have leaked it intensionally to distract people from the android tablets on display. Surely a manufacturer wouldn't be so stupid as to display it at CES

^^^ true that.

Apple only announced in Jan because FCC would have had to make the patent application public soon. Same with original iPhone. We'll see the announcement later in the year.

Original iPhone announcement was in January, now it's in summer. Same with iPad I reckon, though we'll get the keynote at the end of spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Kevin Rose has lost a lot of influence since Digg went into the toilet. His accurate predictions were at the height of Digg's popularity if I recall correctly. Apple may have leaked stuff to him before, I doubt they will again.

Retina display is technically unfeasible. A small resolution bump would create software headaches, namely all existing apps would look like crap if they they were scaled by anything but a power of 2.

Dual core doesn't matter to most users I'd say, more RAM would be a more important upgrade.

projectgtr: Are you really comparing a phone to a tablet? Android isn't biting at the heels of iPad in any significant way. The current crop of Android tablets are dirty hacks. Until Honeycomb shows up they're not even on the same playing field.

I have high hopes for Honeycomb though, it will be the first release where we really get to see the influence of Matias Duarte (WebOS mastermind). In my opinion he's potentially the biggest asset Google has in the mobile space. All in all it should be a very interesting year for tablets!

Acous wrote: »
    Kevin Rose has lost a lot of influence since Digg went into the toilet. His accurate predictions were at the height of Digg's popularity if I recall correctly. Apple may have leaked stuff to him before, I doubt they will again.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/digg.com#

hardly in the toilet
    Retina display is technically unfeasible. A small resolution bump would create software headaches, namely all existing apps would look like crap if they they were scaled by anything but a power of 2.

are they not vector so that they can scale properly from iphone to ipad? i just assumed they were obviously not, that seems a bit retarded
    Dual core doesn't matter to most users I'd say, more RAM would be a more important upgrade.

dual core improves battery life dramatically thats why its such a big deal not because of faster performance
    projectgtr: Are you really comparing a phone to a tablet? Android isn't biting at the heels of iPad in any significant way. The current crop of Android tablets are dirty hacks. Until Honeycomb shows up they're not even on the same playing field.

which of them have you used?
    I have high hopes for Honeycomb though, it will be the first release where we really get to see the influence of Matias Duarte (WebOS mastermind). In my opinion he's potentially the biggest asset Google has in the mobile space. All in all it should be a very interesting year for tablets!

yip tablets are about to explode, some of the efforts coming out of ces look like absolute crap though but there are a few diamonds in the rough, its gonna be a great year to gear heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

fat bloke wrote: »
    I haven't bought a current ipad because I think the pricing is insane. The one you'd want is the 64 gig one, which is about 100 dollars short of an entry level macbook, which is mental in my opinion. And the 499 euro entry level one with 16 gig is pants. A couple of albums, two movies and a few photographs and the thing'll be full :rolleyes:

If a new entry level one came out with a facetime/skype front camera, and 32 gigs storage, for 499, it'd be a much more palatable and justifiable prospect.

For me at any rate.

It's a pity they are so expensive. Because they are fabulous to use. Because of the price tag I've bought none. But if the ipad entry level was lower - or if they discounted the current one in the future, instead of deleting it as they usually do, then I'd buy several. I'd buy one for my mother, my mother in law, one for myself, maybe one for the kids... For the likes of older technophobe parents who just want to check email and book the odd ryanair flight, they are a fantastically user-friendly and intuitive piece of technology, but, as I've said.... the price tag vomits all over those good points.
    Wholeheartedly agree. At their current price they are out of the realms of what could be considered a gift purchase unless you've money to burn and the larger storage units are priced far too close to the MBP.

That new 11" Air looks the biz tho.

Savman wrote: »
    Wholeheartedly agree. At their current price they are out of the realms of what could be considered a gift purchase unless you've money to burn and the larger storage units are priced far too close to the MBP.

That new 11" Air looks the biz tho.

the new air has been getting fantastic reviews

i dont know if the not a gift thing matters, the iphone is too expensive to be a gift as are most serious consumer electronics, like you dont really buy computers and laptops for other people and if you do its usualy bottom of the range netbooks for people who dont know any better

its such a personal choice that i think people would prefer to do it themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Acous wrote: »

I am and i am not :D i know they are 2 different beasts, i was just pointing out the giant leaps going on in Android with the Atrix its hard to just call it a phone as it can act as a desktop also has windows virtualization and laptop integration. i was just using this to make my point that the iPad is going to have to bring alot to the table this time round.

Honeycomb is looking sweet check out the Motorola Xoom (now i look like i work for Motorola, well i used to :D ) first Honeycomb Tablet also rocking in with Dual core which as peak output said its not just about power but power saving too. check it out on Engadget ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

PeakOutput wrote: »
    Have a closer look, their reach is down 20% in the past year, pageviews down 50%. I don't know what reach means but it sounds meaningful! :) They suffered a huge dip in both traffic and sentiment after version 3 (version 4?) went live.
    are they not vector so that they can scale properly from iphone to ipad? i just assumed they were obviously not, that seems a bit retarded
    Nah they're not vector. Vector sounds good in theory because of the scaling, but in practice it's more work overall (vector assets are harder to produce, lack the pixel precision needed to make things look crisp and require more horsepower to render). iPhone apps on iPad run centered or 2x scaling. Universal apps have 2 copies of the UI, tailored for each device.
    dual core improves battery life dramatically thats why its such a big deal not because of faster performance
    Ah. I see now ARM are claiming that, wasn't aware of it before.
    which of them have you used?
    You don't need direct physical interaction to coarsely gauge the quality of a user interface. Android 2.x was never designed with tablets in mind. Every 2.x tablet maker has to develop their own tablet layer in-house and for the most part they have neither the skills nor the resources to do as good a job as Google or Apple. "Dirty hacks" is a bit harsh, they seem to be doing an adequate job but I suspect Apple and Google will do a great job.

edit: projectgtr: I obviously didn't look at the Atrix properly, wow! The Xoom is jaw dropping as well. Hope apple have something special up their sleeve to match it, and for the record I hope I'm wrong about the pixel density staying the same.

Advertisement