Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year old cat , thinking of getting a new kitten

Options
  • 08-01-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

My female cat is one year old and neutered ,I want to get another cat to keep her company as I am away most days , what would be the best way to introduce a new kitten to her and is it safe to leave them alone in the beginning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It's a good time - your 1 yr old is still young enough to be kittenish, and they'll probably end up great friends. I'd go for another female if I were you, only because I got a male and now he's grown up he wants to be more solitary, whereas my female cat just wants to snuggle up to him.
    Introducing a new kitten isn't much fun. Keep them apart to start with, let your cat get used to the smell and sounds of the new arrival, and let the kitten get used to his new home. Then make short introductions, and expect some hissing, yowling and general cat displeasure. It took a couple of weeks for me before any peace was achieved.
    Don't go out and leave them together until they are very well integrated, the kitten could get hurt.

Advertisement