Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Anime

Options
  • 08-01-2011 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭

I think there are a few secret and no-so-secret anime fans about so here is my little collection of Nocturnal Anime Animu.

These ones are pretty old. There is lots of newer stuff that is great, but these are some of my favourites that I think are Nocturnally themed.

Hellsing

It’s got vampires

hellsing.jpg

The guy on the right is Alucard. He’s a very cunning vampire who hunts other vampires by shooting them with his awesome gun.
    The woman on the right is Integra Hellsing. She runs a shadowy vampire hunting organisation. Alucard helps out with it.
    The miniskirt in the middle is Seras Victoria. She was turned into a vampire by Alucard and also hunts vampires with GIANT guns and very short skirts. As is typical in Japan.

Opening:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMNJwUUHMxc

Trigun

Trigun just rocks. It’s about a mysterious happy go lucky guy called Vash the Stampede who has a bounty of several billion on his head. Somehow, no matter where he goes the whole town gets annihilated. It’s not his fault though. Seriously. Then two insurance reps are sent to babysit him. The amount of damage being caused when he is around is bankrupting the insurance company, so they want him prevented from causing any more damage. (Even though it isn’t his fault! ;_;)
    Eventually the mysterious background of Vash comes out and the **** gets srs.
    Trigun has great music and a sort of Wild West meets Steampunk feel to it. It’s really funny but when it gets serious, it gets serious with a vengeance!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzHe4U5c5Oc

Cowboy Bebop

48-cowboybebop_large.png

Cowboy Bebop is about bounty hunters .. in Space! It’s set quite a long way into the future but has a really cool (daddio) Jazz soundtrack. The group that made Cowboy Bebop like to put an anachronistic twist on their productions. They have another great anime called Samurai Champloo which is set in Edo-era Japan but has a kind of hip-hop soundtrack.

Each episode is a stand alone, kinda but the series does have an overall plot. Some episodes are quite intense, like when Spike and Co are going after a drug-dealer who has gone quite quite insane (cuz of the drugs). Some are just funny and silly. In one episode the ship is invaded by some kind of sludge beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zDfxZ4NcE

Optional extras:

Azumanga Diaoh: It’s amazingly cute and REALLY strange.

Elfen Lied: It’s amazingly violent and REALLY ... well .. if you ever don’t need your soul any more go watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4OQI6qyCtg (NSFW)
    Saying that, Elfen Lied really is great. It’s one of my favourites. It’s just a bit brutal. It’s a bit of a shock to people that have only ever watched the fluffier side of anime.

These are just off the top of my head. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

thread needs more Gurren Lagaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

No it doesn't =_=

reallyrose wrote: »
    No it doesn't =_=

You... don't like Gurenn Lagann?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

urdoinitwrong :P

I love my aul animu and mango so I do. Mad for the moe I have to say - Lucky Star, Haruhi <3

Neon Genesis Evangelion is also bloody awesome, as is Clannad and Sailor Moon and Baccano! and and and and...

Mmmm anime <3

You... don't like Gurenn Lagann?

I don't. I'm sorry. I don't like robot-based anime.

Can ... can I still come to this forum? ;_;

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Never been a huge anime fan but if I did watch some, it'd be self-contained little shorts or movies rather than series'.

Really got into stuff like Genius Party (Beyond), Cat Soup, Mind Game, Angel's Egg and little quick stuff like Noiseman Sound Insect and this;

That said, I have watched Gurren Lagann, Kaiba, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Zetsubou Sensei and Death Note all the way through a few years back and had a blast watching them, especially Zetsubou Sensei. These days it's film theory so anime takes a backseat.

reallyrose wrote: »
    I don't. I'm sorry. I don't like robot-based anime.

Can ... can I still come to this forum? ;_;

It's not really about robots, not after the third ep or so.

It's about humanities will to survive and evolution and stuff.

And it's happy. It makes a doomsmile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Oh! Speaking of shorts, 5cm per second is an incredible little film - definitely recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ponyo!

Ponyo-740290.jpg

Konata wrote: »
    Oh! Speaking of shorts, 5cm per second is an incredible little film - definitely recommend it!

Yeah, most of the animations by Makoto Shinkai are top notch. I saw Voice of Distant Star in the Chester Beatty a few years ago, beautiful concept lovingly created :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I don't do anime (other than Vampire Hunter D and Akira) but I'm willing to learn :)

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I don't do anime (other than Vampire Hunter D and Akira) but I'm willing to learn :)

Start with Spirited Away

Links234 wrote: »
    Start with Spirited Away

Or something less comercial and douchebaggie! Sheesh :D

omg how can you call Spirited Away douchebaggie!?

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Or something less comercial and douchebaggie! Sheesh :D

:eek:

go sit in the corner and think about what you said!!!:P

If you can read this, you're too close!

Start with Cowboy Bebop.

Thanks Reallyrose for providing me with an option that I've heard of in legend but haven't had to endure during the Oscars. Gosh!

Start with Perfect Blue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Don't know if it's true Anime, but I love the new series " Ugly Americans ".

If you grow up watching the " MTV Oddities " you will love this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Guess I'll throw my two cents in here:
    full-metal-alchemist-season-2.jpg

Full Metal Alchemist

• Advertisement

Wolf clearly only his hand is made of metal. I wonder at the accuracy of this movie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

His leg is also metal, and his brother is a suit of armor with a human soul bound to it.

His leg is also metal, and his brother is a suit of armor with a human soul bound to it.

Ok that makes sense. :)

Ok that makes sense. :)
    They also have a fellow known as The Strongarm Alchemist who is a massively muscled fellow whose last name is actually Armstrong.

They also have a fellow known as The Strongarm Alchemist who is a massively muscled fellow whose last name is actually Armstrong.

It all falls into place. Beautiful. :)

fma_poster_major_armstrong_by_dachamp21x-d30kn1h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Start with Perfect Blue :)

Watched that last night, twas brilliant.

Watched that last night, twas brilliant.

awesome! :D

Paprika next ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Konata wrote: »

^ This! I watched it on Christmas eve and was just blown away by it. unfortunately it sent me into a spiraling state of depression for the night.

I don't really watch much "nocturnal" themed anime. I'm more of a happy happy slice of life guy. Currently watching Aria the natural. Love Azumanga Daioh and K-on too.
    I took up watching Yumekui Merry yesterday so I'll see how that goes as the episodes are released.

• Advertisement

awesome! :D

Paprika next ;)

Paprika is a fantastic piece of animation. The director, Satoshi Kon (who died last year), wrote and directed some great films and shorts in his time. If you enjoy Paprika, you might enjoy Millenium Actress or the short film 'Magnetic Rose' (part of the Memories trilogy and one of my favourite bits of writing in Japanese animation).

Advertisement