Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harbaugh to coach 49ers

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭

Adam Schefter just twittered-5 years $25m.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Wow, I thought he would stick around with Stanford.

25 mill over 5 years is a lot but not in the Dolphins salary range reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I said all along he wouldn't leave the bay for a potential job when he lives there and there were two perfectly good jobs available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I'd always worry about a coach who cared too much about money rather than finding the best job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Thing's will be going into Hyper Bowl with the 49ers during the pre season. Need to find a QB then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I think the 49ers is a good job. They've got some great playmakers - Davis, Gore, Crabtree, Willis etc. If he can sort out the QB situation and get that team playing to it's potential, there's no reason they can't dominate what could be the weakest division in football. Smart move I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Hazys wrote: »
    I'd always worry about a coach who cared too much about money rather than finding the best job.

Less money than was reported Miami offered.

Stanford offered similar money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I think the 49ers is a good job. They've got some great playmakers - Davis, Gore, Crabtree, Willis etc. If he can sort out the QB situation and get that team playing to it's potential, there's no reason they can't dominate what could be the weakest division in football. Smart move I think.

I agree. Plenty of talent on that team-especially on offense (QB aside)-and 8-8 in that division could mean play-offs even next season.

Interesting to see what they do in the draft-Harbaugh should have plenty of knowledge of Jake Locker from the PAC 10, for what that's worth.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I agree. Plenty of talent on that team-especially on offense (QB aside)-and 8-8 in that division could mean play-offs even next season.

Interesting to see what they do in the draft-Harbaugh should have plenty of knowledge of Jake Locker from the PAC 10, for what that's worth.

A god awful defence though. No pass rush, can't stop the run and cant do anything against the pass cause their secondary is woeful. Do whatever they can to get Orton and then pray they can work on getting some half decent defensive players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Redsoxfan wrote: »

The QBs in this draft are funny the more you study them the more flaws you find except for Luck ....i think deeper in the draft may be better value for a QB , Gabbert /Enderle .....i think the 49ers use free-agency for a QB ...Orton , Kolb for instance .....Harbaugh went with the side with the quickest rebound and luckily was the nearest to his home

Stev_o wrote: »
    A god awful defence though. No pass rush, can't stop the run and cant do anything against the pass cause their secondary is woeful. Do whatever they can to get Orton and then pray they can work on getting some half decent defensive players.

agree with this ...Orton or Kolb or Fitzpatrick of the Bills take a QB ...and then Patrick Peterson ...Fairley ...Bowers ...all would fill holes ...all are elite and the Newton/Locker/Ponder group all have flaws

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

neilster wrote: »
    and then Patrick Peterson ...Fairley ...Bowers

You don't seriously think Peterson, Fairley or Bowers will still be available at number 7 in the draft do you? They're all nailed on top 5 tbh. Maybe Bowers at a stretch, but most definitely not Peterson or Fairley.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    You don't seriously think Peterson, Fairley or Bowers will still be available at number 7 in the draft do you? They're all nailed on top 5 tbh. Maybe Bowers at a stretch, but most definitely not Peterson or Fairley.

You are forgetting one thing the Quarterback issue ....Carolina Buffalo and Arizona could all pick a QB and the Redskins could trade into there possibly at Buffalo/Cincy or Cards picks ...i think Panthers go defense if on need if on the board its Green

my own view

Panthers - Bowers
    Denver - Peterson ...lot of people saying Amukamara here
    Buffalo - Mallett
    Cincy - Green
    Cards - Fairly

Newton falls to Harbaugh...but if teams panic or see CBA uncertainty as time to get a QB ...2 of five could be a QB

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think Harbaugh would want Newton. He will be looking for somebody who is good under center I'd imagine. In fact he has one there who hasn't really got a chance and thats Nate Davis who I personally feel should get a shot.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think Harbaugh would want Newton. He will be looking for somebody who is good under center I'd imagine. In fact he has one there who hasn't really got a chance and thats Nate Davis who I personally feel should get a shot.

I can't see why Singletary didn't like Davis. Big arm, good feet and good vision given a chance he could of really made a difference to that 49'ers team.

While i would love to see Davis get a shot i don't think Harbaugh will go that route and will instead get the Orton trade and work on defensive draft picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

so what do people think now that luck has confirmed he staying in college?

is there anyway the 49ers can make a play for him in the draft next year? what would they have to do to trade into the overall first pick?

i dont know much about the 49ers but if there defence is that bad then he could use this draft to seriously beef it up and then make a play for luck next year, purely just speculating of course but it will be interesting to watch them over the next year

Is there any chance that Luck won't be number 1 next year? If he isn't it would make it a lot easier for the 49'ers to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hard to know...Jake Locker was projected as a No.1 in 2010 and look at how his stock dropped. Right now, the only QB other then Luck looking like a No. 1 is Matt Barkley IMHO. Still, no-one was mocking Cam Newton in the 1st round before the season started this year as far as I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭spillit67

Wasn't Matt Leinhart projected as No 1 after his junior year but stayed as a senior and fell down the boards quite a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

iv heard plenty of examples on espn of people who were tipped for high draft picks and decided to stay in college and it resulted in being detrimental to their eventual draft but i think it goes without saying that the guy isnt stupid and knows this is a risk

all things being equal and assuming there is no catastrophic injury all the pundits are saying that he will still be the favourite for next years number 1 pick

id love to see a story like harbaugh and luck getting together in the nfl and seeing how they do together, its just a cool story, dosnt look too likely though

Advertisement