Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the legality of blue lights on a bike?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Bought a new bike this morning.. with the advice of some kind boardsies (Thread Here)

as it turned out the bike was a talon 3 not a revel 1. So I thought myself lucky and bought it.

Anyway I was going through the usual business of buying new gear for the bike and then I encountered this Amazon - Blue LED bike light Gotta say it looks pretty cool and would know doubt keep drivers alert when I cycle through town... but the question is, is it legal or am I asking for trouble?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

white/yellow on the front, red on the back

Blue lights do not satisfy the rules (not sure if you would be allowed them in addition to the legal requirement though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Eros_Panties

So there's nothing specifically forbidding it?:D I'm happy enough to have a white light alongside.

Have to think about it. I could imagine some gardai taking exception to it regardless of its legality.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So there's nothing specifically forbidding it?:D
    I don't know - there may be, as blue lights are normally reserved for the emergency services (certainly on motor vehicles). I personally would not want to risk being pulled for trying to impersonate a Gard;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Under S.I. No. 189/1963 — Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963.

A pedal bike shall only display a white/amber light to the front and only a Red light to the rear.

No other lights are permitted!
    Pedal cycles.
    29. (1) Every pedal cycle shall at all times while ridden, or wheeled by a person on foot, in a public place during lighting-up hours be equipped with and, subject to sub-article (2) of this article, show duly lit a front lamp complying with the provisions of sub-article (3) of this article and a rear lamp complying with the provisions of sub-article (4) of this article.

(2) The requirement in sub-article (1) of this article that the front and rear lamps be shown duly lit shall not apply if and so long as the cycle is stopped in course of traffic or is being wheeled by a person on foot as near as possible to the left hand edge of the roadway.

(3) A front lamp fitted to a cycle shall—

(a) when lit, show to the front of the cycle a white or yellow light visible during lighting-up hours for a reasonable distance,

(b) be fitted on the centre line of the vehicle or to the right of that line,

(c) be fitted so that no part of the illuminated surface of the lamp is more than 5 feet from the ground.

(4) A rear lamp fitted to a cycle shall—

(a) when lit, show to the rear of the cycle a red light visible during lighting-up hours for a reasonable distance,

(b) have an illuminated area of at least 2 square inches and of such a shape that a circle of 1 inch in diameter may be inscribed therein,

(c) be fitted—

(i) on the centre line of the cycle or to the right of that line,

(ii) so that no part of the illuminated surface of the lamp is more than 3 feet or less than 12 inches from the ground,

(iii) so that it is not more than 20 inches from the extreme rear of the cycle.

Also another point i see is that flashing lights are not allowed.

PART VI. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS IN RESPECT OF LIGHTING.

Compliance by vehicles with this Part.
    40. (1) Every mechanically propelled vehicle and every trailer shall at all times while used in a public place comply with the provisions of articles 41 to 48 of these Regulations.

(2) Every vehicle (other than a mechanically propelled vehicle or a trailer) shall at all times while in use in a public place comply as respects lighting with the provisions of articles 41, 42, 45 and 48 of these Regulations.

Restrictions on flashing lights.
    42. No lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Eros_Panties

Beasty wrote: »
    I don't know - there may be, as blue lights are normally reserved for the emergency services (certainly on motor vehicles). I personally would not want to risk being pulled for trying to impersonate a Gard;)

You're probably right.
    cronin_j wrote:
    Under S.I. No. 189/1963 — Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963.

A pedal bike shall only display a white/amber light to the front and only a Red light to the rear.

No other lights are permitted!

I'm just looking for loopholes now...but, whats to say I couldnt have it on my person?

Might order it and just use it for cycling country roads where the extra attention would do no harm.
    cronin_j wrote:
    Also another point i see is that flashing lights are not allowed

That was amended in 2009 or early 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

I'm just looking for loopholes now...but, whats to say I couldnt have it on my person?

Cant see anything about the regulations enforcing them on a persons person.

It's technically against the law, but realistically I'd say that the worst that would happen would be a guard would see it and ask you to get a different light. I'd imagine they'd prefer you having a blue light over no light at all, like so many apparently suicidal cyclists I see here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Regardless of the law, blue lights are a bad idea since they're used by emergency services and you're not an emergency service.

There are plenty of white lights to choose from.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

a lot of cars, particularly BMWs seem to have head lights that are more blue than white, and I never heard of the guards pulling them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Whilst strictly speaking its not legal, same as car reg plates with different fonts, it will certainly get you noticed, more so then a regular white light, so in that way I would certainly try it, worst that will happen is that you may come across a Gard that won't like it, and best motorists will get out of your way! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I can't imagine the gardai stopping you, lets face it, they rarely stop people for doing the more serious **** like jumping lights etc and ahem I cycled quite a few winters in London without lights and passed police all the time.

Having said that, there's not really any particular reason to grab blue ones when normal white ones are available. What's more important as far as I'm concerned (if cycling in an urban environment) is simply cycling defensively, lights make you more visible but on ****ty winter nights in heavy traffic a blinky light of any color is easily missed. Don't think a driver can see you just cos you have it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I can't imagine the gardai stopping you, lets face it, they rarely stop people for doing the more serious **** like jumping lights etc and ahem I cycled quite a few winters in London without lights and passed police all the time.

It was either a mate of mine or someone else on boards had 2 lights on the front of his bike both flashing and a guard stopped him and asked him to have at least one fixed as if there both flashing drivers might be confused and think its a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

rp wrote: »
    a lot of cars, particularly BMWs seem to have head lights that are more blue than white, and I never heard of the guards pulling them

Xenon headlamps, I presume, which aren't really the same as sticking a blue flashing light on your car.

I'm not sure what is to be gained from momentarily making people think you might be a Garda, especially if it has the potential to land you in trouble or get you a fine. What's wrong with regular lights that let people see you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

cronin_j wrote: »
    Cant see anything about the regulations enforcing them on a persons person.
    Lights must be fixed to the bike not the person.

In my experience this is a good idea, as I find that fixed lights can be seen from further away. No harm in having lights on the person as long as you also have fixed lights on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lights must be fixed to the bike not the person.

In my experience this is a good idea, as I find that fixed lights can be seen from further away. No harm in having lights on the person as long as you also have fixed lights on the bike.

I have heard it recommended to have a light on your person in case you land some distance from your bike in a crash at night. Of course, it assumes that the light can be seen and hasn't been smashed.

Advertisement