Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons | Camera Shop | Duty Free Dublin Airport

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has any experience shopping in Dixons or similar in the duty free in Dublin Airport. I think Dixons only recently opened?

I might be after a 7D body only and was wondering what kind of discount and availability they might have over the 'bricks and mortar' shops?

If I was to get one, it would be in early March and would involve selling my gripped 40d beforehand.....and if I was relying on Dixons and it went pear-shaped i could potentially end up spending the first week or so of a holiday of a lifetime with no camera. Which would be extremely uncool.

At the monent Kerso is selling them for (almost sure) £999 + £15-20 shipping....so ~€1,200

Or would there be anywhere else able to significantly beat conns €1499 price with €85 cashback (with a warranty)?

Cheers

Edit
    Kerso offer as of 28th Dec '10

FREE POSTAGE BY FEDEX & FREE 4GB SANDISK ULTRA II CARD ON ANY CANON CAMERA EOS BODY SALE

Canon 7D £999 Also Battery Grips, Canon & compatible batteries for sale.

All lenses have Canon International warranties. Bodies have USA warranties valid in UK with invoice provided.
    (& from before christmas --> I send all items fully insured via Royal Mail. International higher value items via FEDEX.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They have roughly a 15-20 percent discount on most products retail prices in their other stores from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

If I was to get one, it would be in early March and would involve selling my gripped 40d beforehand.....and if I was relying on Dixons and it went pear-shaped i could potentially end up spending the first week or so of a holiday of a lifetime with no camera. Which would be extremely uncool.

You'd have that film camera you beat me to. :P

Berminghams have the 7D for €1499 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    They have roughly a 15-20 percent discount on most products retail prices in their other stores from my experience.

But there are no Dixons in ROI.
    Any their sister shop currys doesn't appear to stock a 7D according to this. Maybe just need to call??:o

You'd have that film camera you beat me to. :P

Berminghams have the 7D for €1499 too.

Film camera will be a labour of love (until i get my head around it) and will most likely be staying safe at home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

jessops have the 7D for £1153 which exchanges to roughly €1388, if you don't mind travelling to Newry.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/76536/show.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

I bought a 60D in Dixons Travel in Dublin Airport last month and am very happy with it. I think I got a very good price too, €870 for body only, which was cheaper than I could find online at the time and a good bit cheaper than the €1200 other shops in Dublin were looking for. Also if you do have any problems you can return through any Currys or PC World.

Can't remember what the price of a 7D was. You could probably just ring to find out. They also price match/beat Amazon and some other online stores.

http://www.dixonstravel.co.uk/

Kersos offer seems to be pretty good at the moment too.

http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat1.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember looking at a replacement battery for my camera in a shop in dublin airport - it was over €100, and the same battery is available in gunns for about €65. this is the place just behind the security checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I rang them about a 500D a few weeks ago, they quoted €532 with IS lens kit but when somebody was in to collect it for me it jumped to €580, I mentioned the phone price and the manager agreed to honour it. ...but none in stock.. :rolleyes:

Call them for a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just wondering if anybody has any experience shopping in Dixons or similar in the duty free in Dublin Airport. I think Dixons only recently opened?

I might be after a 7D body only and was wondering what kind of discount and availability they might have over the 'bricks and mortar' shops?

At the monent Kerso is selling them for (almost sure) £999 + £15-20 shipping....so ~€1,200

Or would there be anywhere else able to significantly beat conns €1499 price with €85 cashback (with a warranty)?

Cheers

Edit
    Kerso offer as of 28th Dec '10

I just bought a 550D/18-55 kit lens & 85mm lens & 10-22 lens from a great ebay seller in HK. The same items would have cost €2300 in conns. Total cost from this seller was €1600.

He has the 7D body for sale for €1100 which includes free fedex shipping. takes 2 days to get to Ireland.

I just bought a 550D/18-55 kit lens & 85mm lens & 10-22 lens from a great ebay seller in HK. The same items would have cost €2300 in conns. Total cost from this seller was €1600.

He has the 7D body for sale for €1100 which includes free fedex shipping. takes 2 days to get to Ireland.

Normally im one of the 1st for recommending the ebay route. But once we start taking about this kinda price range I would want a warranty that stands up in a shop and not have to be posted back to the other side of the world.

Kerso says that "Bodies have USA warranties valid in UK all of Europe with invoice provided. Shipping to ROI is £20 Fedex".

...You were lucky you didn't get caught for import taxes :D

Also, Dixons travel site says they dont put prices online cos they constantly change. But it good to know that if it does go up after getting a quote they'll still honor it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

i bought my 7d with a kit lens there at the start of the summer. Cant remember exactly how much it was but it was around 1500e and definitely cheaper than buying in town. (sold the kit lens for 250e on adverts.ie to add to the discount:D) Checked the other day and they are now selling the 7d body only too.

As they are owned by the same company as PC World if you have any problems with the camera you can just bring it to your local PC World and they will honour the warranty.

Oh they now have 2 shops open, one in each terminal, so there should be no problem with stock.

Dixons @ airport quoted me €1333 this morning on phone for the body only, but have none in stock at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭leche solara

Simplyelectronics.net have the 7D for €1,149.95 with free delivery. They can be a bit slow but other than that I have had no problems with them.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=7797

Dixons price at the airport is now €1323 (body only) - but they still haven't any in stock and aren't exactly convincing asked about ordering one in...

Advertisement