Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transsexuals who decide/can't transition.

• 07-01-2011 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭

What quality of life can they expect?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't think transition is the be all and end all, you should do what makes you happy. In reality, I don't really think my body at all matches my gender, but I think the knock on effects of transition would make me so unhappy that it would greatly outweigh any benefits that transitioning might have for me. I don't think that for everyone transition will make you happy, thats not to say that there aren't loads of people it would make happy though. Its different for everyone. In fact I know one person who transitioned, took on a male name, took all the hormones and now he's gone back to his female name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cybele

In my opinion, if one completely identifies as the opposite gender and does not transition to a level they find comfortable then they will never unfortunately be truly happy.

The depression will never go away and they may attempt to take their own life, which is really sad and mostly society’s fault.

For me the depression just got worse and worse until I was faced with either transition or death.
    Both choices sucked arse!!

I wanted to just die but I choose transition, not for me but for my family and a few very close friends. The thought of leaving them devastated and not knowing the real me was unacceptable.

A few years later after some surgeries and a lot of emotional and physical pain I find myself on the other side. (Things got a LOT worse before they started to get better)

I never thought transition would turn out so well for me and for the first time in my life, I feel happy :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It would be a rotten day if ever I were told I couldn't transition due to health or some other reason. I spent the last few years deciding why I shouldn't and I could come to no other conclusion, it's suicide (have tried on many occasion :() or change (would much prefer this and a long life).

I say it likes it's a bad thing, which it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Azure_sky wrote: »
    What quality of life can they expect?
    The answer to that completely depends on the person.

I know a trans woman who was denied access to hormones for health reasons. She was absolutely and completely devastated.

I know a trans man who got his prescription for testosterone, and has never taken the prescription to the pharmacy. He has decided that, actually, he likes his body as it is.

Personally, I'm in the "you can pry my hormones from my cold dead hands" camp. I simply cannot imagine going back to living with testosterone buzzing around in my system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Thanks for the replies. I was diagnosed as TS about a year and a half ago and I'm seriously considering resuming my transition.
    Cybele wrote: »
    The depression will never go away and they may attempt to take their own life, which is really sad and mostly society’s fault.

For me the depression just got worse and worse until I was faced with either transition or death.
    Both choices sucked arse!!

I wanted to just die but I choose transition, not for me but for my family and a few very close friends. The thought of leaving them devastated and not knowing the real me was unacceptable.

That's a good point. The circumstances are different for everyone. It's about maximising happiness and minimising sadness at the end of the day, and the net result should ultimately decides our decisions.

I don't think transition is the be all and end all, you should do what makes you happy. In reality, I don't really think my body at all matches my gender, but I think the knock on effects of transition would make me so unhappy that it would greatly outweigh any benefits that transitioning might have for me.

Yes, it never goes away. Sometimes it kicks in more intensly for me. I try to block it out. The friends and family is a major issues, one of many. And society-tell me about it. I was reading some of the trans related threads on AH and it saddens me how the general public, especially men, are so anti trans. Then there's the misconceptions and negative stereotypes.
    It's hard enough as it is, why do people have to make it even harder?
    The answer to that completely depends on the person.

I know a trans woman who was denied access to hormones for health reasons. She was absolutely and completely devastated.

I know a trans man who got his prescription for testosterone, and has never taken the prescription to the pharmacy. He has decided that, actually, he likes his body as it is.

Yes, I guess it is relative to the person. Just curious, if the trans man likes his female body how is he transsexual?:confused: I hope I'm not coming across as judgemental. I just really can't understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Azure_sky - just on your final point there (and I could be wrong as I don't know the situation) - but I think he wouldn't consider his body female - his body is his body - he's a guy, who happens to have breasts etc etc. It doesn't make him any less male - it just means he's happy with what's there and sees no need to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Ah, I think I get it now. Thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

:) I guess it's kinda hard to get your mind around, as the world tends to be so black and white.. But we all know that sex and gender and attraction and identity is such a wonderful shade of grey - nothing's fixed or definite - it makes for some damn interesting lives and stories :D

Advertisement