Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher Single Semester Membership?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Anybody know if it's possible - just to join the Kingfisher from January to June Without having to pay the full annual fee?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 GaillimhGuy1

Dont think this is possible. When I joined in September, it had to be for 12 months. Also, there was an article in SIN criticising kingfisher for not having a student year option like they do in UL and DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

The SU were apparently supposed to be looking for this, but for now its only the yearly membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Awfully unfair on the Yanks who are here for only a semester.

Should be €100/semester, (Sept 1st - Dec 31st, Jan 1st - May 31st), 12 months for €250

There would be way more people signing up. Plus, I'd get just the two semesters unless I plan on being around for the summer. Hard decision to make in September so there should be a way to upgrade from the semester to include a "summer" semester too.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Thanks guys.......I figured as much but was hoping otherwise.

Its such a crime that its that expensive. Was down in cork with the lads for the week and not only was it free for them into the mardyke but they were able to have me as a guest for free too. Seriously jealous - and justifiably so! :/

I just don't get how its legal that €100 of our reg. fee goes to them regardless every september. (well i do indeed get it - rather im just dumbfounded that nui were negligent enough to see us completely screwed over!)

I guess it's back to runs in salthill for me this semester! :p

Rob! wrote: »
    Thanks guys.......I figured as much but was hoping otherwise.

Its such a crime that its that expensive. Was down in cork with the lads for the week and not only was it free for them into the mardyke but they were able to have me as a guest for free too. Seriously jealous - and justifiably so! :/

I just don't get how its legal that €100 of our reg. fee goes to them regardless every september. (well i do indeed get it - rather im just dumbfounded that nui were negligent enough to see us completely screwed over!)

I guess it's back to runs in salthill for me this semester! :p

"legal" "negligent" I really hope you arent studying law. You agreed to pay that fee (because students 4-5 years ago had a referendum) every year. It's part of the reg free that isn't tax. The €100 not only goes towards the gym, but also went towards the renovations in Aras Na Macleinn which are fantastic. Well worth it IMO, though the gym membership could be less.

A friend of mine "in the know" tells me that Kingfisher have barely been breaking even on their NUI Galway branch in the first couple of years of it opening. Dont know how accurate that is. My bet is, that if they reduced the price a little for students, they'd get an awful lot more people in but that has probably been worked out. I'd hope anyway!

As for us being screwed over, the SU and university have to give the OK to any price hikes in the Kingfisher. It's not ideal, but it is some level of protection. The prices for students haven't gone up over the last 2.5 years since the gym opened.

I have also been told that gym membership else where for similar facilities (i.e. new, and a pool) would cost upwards of €600-700 but since I have never been a member anywhere else I couldnt tell you. €250 isn't bad when you consider that. Even €350 if you count the €100 levy is half of what the public would pay.

• Advertisement

"legal" "negligent" I really hope you arent studying law. You agreed to pay that fee (because students 4-5 years ago had a referendum) every year. It's part of the reg free that isn't tax. The €100 not only goes towards the gym, but also went towards the renovations in Aras Na Macleinn which are fantastic. Well worth it IMO, though the gym membership could be less.

A friend of mine "in the know" tells me that Kingfisher have barely been breaking even on their NUI Galway branch in the first couple of years of it opening. Dont know how accurate that is. My bet is, that if they reduced the price a little for students, they'd get an awful lot more people in but that has probably been worked out. I'd hope anyway!

As for us being screwed over, the SU and university have to give the OK to any price hikes in the Kingfisher. It's not ideal, but it is some level of protection. The prices for students haven't gone up over the last 2.5 years since the gym opened.

I have also been told that gym membership else where for similar facilities (i.e. new, and a pool) would cost upwards of €600-700 but since I have never been a member anywhere else I couldnt tell you. €250 isn't bad when you consider that. Even €350 if you count the €100 levy is half of what the public would pay.

No - actually just an engineering student that likes to express himself with a colourful vocabulary. ;) We didn't exactly "agree" to pay the fee to be fair, rather we were forced to - much to my distain. I'm well aware that €224 of our registration fee is taken by the college in addition to the €1500 standard fee for student services. My figure of €100 being given to Kingfisher was taken directly from an article on this very matter in an issue of SIN in the latter half of last semester. That in turn lead me to belive that the remaining €124 went to the likes of aras na mac leinn etc.

I'm fully aware we can use the gym for a special rate as things stand but despite that - it cant be overlooked that we are forced to pay far more than our fellow students in other colleges. I mean the mardyke was destroyed in last years floods and the cost of refurnishing the place and buying countless new equipment didn't stop the students using it for free. So if they can do it, surely we can too!?

But regardless of the price matter - The fact that the college forked out loads towards the complex (they funded the majority of it as far as im aware!?) and we cant even get semester based membership is disgraceful. Most students dont live near the kingfisher outside of term so being forced to pay for an annual membership despite not being around for over a quarter of that time totally sucks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

"

See to me once you factor in that charge it isn't reasonable at all, consider that the TCD gym is pretty similar in facilities to what I've of the Kingfisher
    the public rate is 395 euro with 70 euro joining fee and thats for the very centre of Dublin, not towards the outskirts of galway.

I think the money is taken for everybody via the registration charge for student access so can't quote a figure for that.

No - actually just an engineering student that likes to express himself with a colourful vocabulary. ;) We didn't exactly "agree" to pay the fee to be fair, rather we were forced to - much to my distain. I'm well aware that €224 of our registration fee is taken by the college in addition to the €1500 standard fee for student services. My figure of €100 being given to Kingfisher was taken directly from an article on this very matter in an issue of SIN in the latter half of last semester. That in turn lead me to belive that the remaining €124 went to the likes of aras na mac leinn etc.

I'm fully aware we can use the gym for a special rate as things stand but despite that - it cant be overlooked that we are forced to pay far more than our fellow students in other colleges. I mean the mardyke was destroyed in last years floods and the cost of refurnishing the place and buying countless new equipment didn't stop the students using it for free. So if they can do it, surely we can too!?

But regardless of the price matter - The fact that the college forked out loads towards the complex (they funded the majority of it as far as im aware!?) and we cant even get semester based membership is disgraceful. Most students dont live near the kingfisher outside of term so being forced to pay for an annual membership despite not being around for over a quarter of that time totally sucks....

You'll need to talk to someone in the SU to get this 100% correct, but the €224 is the student services levy. That probably includes (though not certain) the €100 levy for gym and Aras. The rest goes towards the health unit (free for us, UCD students pay per visit AFAIK), drug and emotional counciling services, health promotion unit, and a couple of other things. Oh and the discretionary fund that went towards the memorial garden outside Aras de Brun.

For some students they might not even be around for a quarter of the year. 12 weeks of each semester, then exams, then holidays. And if they go home most weekends, they wont even be around for half the year, but that's besides the point. The "pay as you go" offer in the gym is VERY reasonable at €5 a go or 7.50 for gym and swim (but noone would ever check). They also dont really care what times you go at if you are a student despite the limitation in the time table.

Work it out for yourself whether it is worth getting the year membership. For me, I'll make it worth it this semester.

I promise!

The "pay as you go" offer in the gym is VERY reasonable at €5 a go or 7.50 for gym and swim (but noone would ever check). They also dont really care what times you go at if you are a student despite the limitation in the time table.
    I promise!

Now that could be very handy indeed. :) One good session every week as well as my regular routine would be more than sufficient. And considering we only have about 18 weeks left then I'm sure the pay as you go option will work out better. That said, I reckon Il sign up at the very start of next year to make the most of an actual membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

The college arenn't paying for it, the students are paying along with a donation from a well known philantropist. The €100 from each student goes towards repaying the loan taken, which to my recollection is about €20million (the entire project aras na mc leinn etc is up at about €40million) and will be repayed over 18yrs. The €250 membership fee was agreed by the SU, University and Kingfisher, this again if memory serves me right can be reviewed every four years. It was - let's say the best of a bad lot. The option for every student to pay an additional say €100 levy and have free usage for all was also toyed with. However many students felt that this was unfair, as the majority of students wouldn't use a gym/sporting facilities. This subject was hashed out in many many many class rep councils. You can't please everyone all of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Anyone know if student membership prices have decreased recently??
    I'm just asking because there are banners and signs close to gym saying something like 'New lower price memberships available'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

I was in the gym one day and heard an American signing up for just one semester. It was some ridiculous price like 190 or something, which by the way is what UL students pay for two semesters and they have a much better gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

dizzymiss is correct. The gym only got built because a generous person approached the university and offered to pay half the cost if the university/students paid the other half. To my knowledge, the €100 being talked about is not going to Kingfisher. It's going towards the capital costs of building the gym in the first place. I don't believe that Kingfisher had anything to do with the construction and are merely leasing/operating the gym.

There's lots of complaining here, but how about people take a minute and remember the thousands of students who voted for the €100 levy and paid it before the gym was even built. A lot of these students finished and left the university before they saw any gym or any benefits from their money. They voted for it and paid for it because they knew how much of an asset it would be to the university for years to come after they had left.

Edit: Oh, and comparatively speaking, I was quoted a student gym and pool membership elsewhere in the city a few years ago of €450. Compared to that, €250 is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

To my knowledge, the €100 being talked about is not going to Kingfisher. It's going towards the capital costs of building the gym in the first place. I don't believe that Kingfisher had anything to do with the construction and are merely leasing/operating the gym.

This is true. Kingfisher were brought on board towards the end of the project, having successfully tendered for it.
    There's lots of complaining here, but how about people take a minute and remember the thousands of students who voted for the €100 levy and paid it before the gym was even built. A lot of these students finished and left the university before they saw any gym or any benefits from their money. They voted for it and paid for it because they knew how much of an asset it would be to the university for years to come after they had left.

Also true. It is state of the art and probably one of the best facilities this side of the country except of course the fact that they didn't put in the 50m pool. The running costs of this would have driven up the cost for the student even more.

Their contract is up in a year, so the SU/Uni will have to start looking for a replacement soon if they aren't going to renew Kingfisher's.

What do people think about the management there? would you prefer if another group came in or are you happy with Kingfishers performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

What do people think about the management there? would you prefer if another group came in or are you happy with Kingfishers performance?

I dont like it. I find it very difficult to get a fitness instructor if I want one (Where do they be?). I would expect that there would be somebody manning the desk of the actual gym at nearly all times. It actually seems to be the opposite, there is rarely a person there.

I cant understand why they have the reception the way it is because when a member is coming in, they are often blocked by a non-member who is paying for something. Many times, I have seen this lead to a major 'traffic jam' of people.

I have been a member of many gyms in the past and this one is my least favourite. The gym has too many threadmills and not enough weights machines which makes it impossible to do a work out in the sequence you want to. Instead, you are constantly looking to see when a machine comes free.

Maybe I am blind but I dont see how this gym has top class facilities like everybody claims. Perhaps the elite gym is a very magical place where things are different?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

They also dont really care what times you go at if you are a student despite the limitation in the time table.

When did they start allowing this? Because I couldn't afford the gym last year and despite being a student I was only allowed in at public times. 7-9 in the morning, 2-4 or half 8 to half 9, seriously inconvenient times!

Why can't they allow a set number of non members in at all times during the day? Enough so that there is still plenty of space for members. Could help with their cashflow problems.

I also pleaded at the start of June that I am a poor student and could I get membership for six months. There was no negotiation whatsoever on anything less than 12 months.

A few of the staff are so rude. One guy actually hoovered right under the pedals of my bike when I was using it! There was no "oh sorry could you move there for a sec". I wouldn't mind but the place was empty could he not have hoovered somewhere else first!

As far as I'm aware the students agreed to pay half of the build on the condition that the cost of the gym for students would be a "nominal fee". 250euro on top of the 100euro in the registration fee is hardly nominal.

Rant over :o

Oh, and comparatively speaking, I was quoted a student gym and pool membership elsewhere in the city a few years ago of €450. Compared to that, €250 is a bargain.

Ok fine I'm totally cool with the €100 levy now that i know where its going. (and thanks for clarifying it btw) ;)

But really, and i cant emphasize this enough: It's pointless saying its cheap compared to memberships elsewhere - that goes without saying. But in comparison to fellow students in other irish universities, the deal were getting in OUR UNIVERSITY GYM is horrendous! Forget anywhere off campus - im specifically talking about what is available directly to students from there educational institution.

(Correct me anybody if im wrong on the following:)

Trinity = Free with Reg Fee
    UCD = €119 (for 6 months - arent selling longer memberships because it will be closing this year)
    DCU = €210 (academic year)
    UCC = Free with Reg Fee
    UL = €185 (academic year)
    NUIM = Free with Reg Fee
    NUIG = €250 (annual with no academic year option)

So ya - still think were being screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

Ok fine I'm totally cool with the €100 levy now that i know where its going. (and thanks for clarifying it btw) ;)

But really, and i cant emphasize this enough: It's pointless saying its cheap compared to memberships elsewhere - that goes without saying. But in comparison to fellow students in other irish universities, the deal were getting in OUR UNIVERSITY GYM is horrendous! Forget anywhere off campus - im specifically talking about what is available directly to students from there educational institution.

(Correct me anybody if im wrong on the following:)

Trinity = Free with Reg Fee
    UCD = €119 (for 6 months - arent selling longer memberships because it will be closing this year)
    DCU = €210 (academic year)
    UCC = Free with Reg Fee
    UL = €185 (academic year)
    NUIM = Free with Reg Fee
    NUIG = €250 (annual with no academic year option)

So ya - still think were being screwed!
    Oh I do agree with you, believe me. I'm still in shock that the SU let it happen the way it did. As mentiond above, before the gym opened the SU was debating that the membership should be included for all students yet somehow they let that idea go. It's one of those things that's cemented my (low) opinion of the SU.

That said, I stand by my post above about all the complaining about the €100!

What would be reasonable for the quality of the gym we have, considering there is a swimming pool, great rock wall, and new facilities?

I'd like to pay €100/semester, but only a €50 add on for the summer. I'd happily pay €200 for the 2 semesters, and the reduced price would attract more people (both good and bad).

If paying even 100/semester reduces "n00bs" in the gym and the number of people there overall I'm happy. Keeps it quieter :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think the point of paying 250 in one go is that kingfisher probably don't like the fact that students are subsidised, and like all gyms they know that the majority of people who sign up won't go or will stop going soon after joining, so paying 250 up front is a way of ensuring direct debits and whatever else won't be cancelled on them.

Regarding facilities its pretty run of the mill the elite room is great but I hate that they will let any gob****e on a club team in but not people who might know who to use some of the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Is it just the pool that has the "casual usage" or does the gym have that too?

Advertisement