Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing Course

Options
  • 07-01-2011 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi guys im kinda bit confuse.. so i hope u guys can help me.. im 24 years old, male, and i want to do a nursing course.. but i dont think i have enought points on my LC.. can u guys give me some advice.. i dont want to take the LC again.. thats just hell for me.. lol.. im not sure but in a mature student u still need to take the LC? am i right? i dont know really how it works.. im currently working as a carer.. and have enought experience in healthcare area. TY in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

A good few further education colleges do pre nursing or health science course. They're usually one year long and have links to third level nursing courses. Colaiste Dhulaigh in Coolock have a pre nursing course with 10 places in DCU nursing.
    Not sure about needing a leaving cert but getting onto the course in further education colleges is based on interview and experience. Working as a carer is a big plus.
    Find the nearest college of further education that offers a pre nursing course and have a look at their application procedure. It usually involves an application form and then being called for interview. I'd recommend getting two reference letters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ChrsEu

ok.. so i need to go to further education 1st.. so if the nursing is 4 years.. plus the Further education colleges it would be like 6 or 5 years.. if i do go to a further colleges do i need to get a high grades to enable me to go to a third level? TY for the rply.. it help so much..

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

yes you can do a pre-nursing course or fetac 5 full time course in college of further education. Fetac 5 courses consist of 8 modules in total which will be directly related to the subject you want to continue studying such as nursing. You will need quite high grade in each module to get you into the 1st year of undergraduate course. I know a few people who completed the fetac in nursing and have been offered undergraduate courses in England which they are enjoying.

yikes.. so i do need a higher grades to go thru.. lol.. anyways thanks to all replys.. i know now what to do.. cheers..!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ChrsEu wrote: »
    yikes.. so i do need a higher grades to go thru.. lol.. anyways thanks to all replys.. i know now what to do.. cheers..!!

Don't judge how you will do on a FETAC course by how you did in school.
    Remember your FETAC course will be all focussed towards the job you want. You will find that through working as a carer many things you will already know and have experience in.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Don't judge how you will do on a FETAC course by how you did in school.
    Remember your FETAC course will be all focussed towards the job you want. You will find that through working as a carer many things you will already know and have experience in.
    Good luck.

thnkz man!...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 seanot123

you wont need to do the pre-nursing as you already have an idea of what the job entails as you are currently working in a health care setting.
    you may apply for nursing as a mature student so long as you are over 23years by January 1st of that year.
    it is not based on your leaving cert result, it is based on aptitude tests and now a new work simulation test (this takes the place of what was an interview)
    you may still have time to apply this year to start in september. check the cao website and the ncc.ie website for more info as i am unsure of the closing date for mature entry applicants.
    hope this helps and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Best of luck on whichever way you decide to take - the CAO route or the FE route.

Howver be aware that there are very limited places in the Institutes of Technologies and other Nursing Training colleges including DCU for FETAC applicants. The 10 places referenced above re DCU are open to FETAC Nursing applicants from all over the country and not just Colaiste Dhulaigh students and there is intense competition for these places. 8 distinctions are the necessary results required for entry via this route and even with 8 distinctions you are subject to random selection with many students not getting a place. The UK option is used by many FETAC applicants too.

Advertisement