Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Uniforms

Options
  • 07-01-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Apologies in advance if I am in the wrong department !

Why do uniformed customs officers wear naval type uniforms. I am thinking particularly of the shoulder boards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

i'm gonna guess that its due to Customs always being attached to the sea. After all, trade is still mainly carried out by ships, so I would guess customs have a strong maritime aspect to their history.

Customs House also, located on the river. etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think its just an old custom.

/grabs coat!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Can we dispense with the customary one liners. . .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Is it not our duty to post them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could ask the same question about aircraft pilots, but that wouldn't be germane to this forum either.

Where is deadwood when you need him? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Back in the old old days, crews of HM customs cutters were naval officers on half pay. The tradition stuck.
    Unlike the Navy, the Customs service did not cease operations post independence. Indeed you can still see where the "H.M" letters used to be on the older customs post. (Custom house in cork is a good example).
    The white top cap is a useful aid to visability during other operations, whether at sea or on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Back in the old old days, crews of HM customs cutters were naval officers on half pay. The tradition stuck.
    Unlike the Navy, the Customs service did not cease operations post independence. Indeed you can still see where the "H.M" letters used to be on the older customs post. (Custom house in cork is a good example).
    The white top cap is a useful aid to visability during other operations, whether at sea or on land.

Do the shoulder board and cuff insignia correspond to seniority/rank/appointment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

belacqua_ wrote: »
    Do the shoulder board and cuff insignia correspond to seniority/rank/appointment?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Following on from Goldie Fish's post, I thought this website might be of relevance to the OP. The HM Waterguard were the antecedents of HM & Irish Customs officers:

http://www.hm-waterguard.org.uk/

I may be wrong, but have the UK Border Agency completely replaced/absorbed uniformed HM Customs officers?

Advertisement