Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Met Society - 1 day Conference 26th March

Options
  • 07-01-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

I am not plugging just looking for opinions. I am trying to advance my knowledge beyond looking out the window and saw this on the Met website.

I was thinking of going along to this and emailed them about availability and prices. Has anyone been to them before? Are they more for people with advanced knowledge?

I believe the prices are €15 for non-members and €7.50 for members.

It is on in NUI Maynooth for anyone with any interest.

Edit

Itinery for the day

"Climate Change Adaptation - the Challenges for Ireland" by Professor John Sweeney, Department of Geography, NUI Maynooth.

"Seismology – Volcanoes and Ocean Wave Activity" by Professor Chris Bean, UCD.

"A Day in the Life of a Weather Forecaster" by Katie Howard, Met Office, Exeter.

"Climate Change" by Duncan Stewart, TV presenter and architect.

"Weather Conditions and the Course of History" by Professor Peter Lynch, UCD Meteorology and Climate Centre.

Comments

Vudgie wrote: »
    I am not plugging just looking for opinions. I am trying to advance my knowledge beyond looking out the window and saw this on the Met website.

I was thinking of going along to this and emailed them about availability and prices. Has anyone been to them before? Are they more for people with advanced knowledge?

I believe the prices are €15 for non-members and €7.50 for members.

It is on in NUI Maynooth for anyone with any interest.

Edit

Itinery for the day

"Climate Change Adaptation - the Challenges for Ireland" by Professor John Sweeney, Department of Geography, NUI Maynooth.

"Seismology – Volcanoes and Ocean Wave Activity" by Professor Chris Bean, UCD.

"A Day in the Life of a Weather Forecaster" by Katie Howard, Met Office, Exeter.

"Climate Change" by Duncan Stewart, TV presenter and architect.

"Weather Conditions and the Course of History" by Professor Peter Lynch, UCD Meteorology and Climate Centre.

Wow this looks interesting, plus its only up the road from me.
    I see there will be a talk on Seismology as well.
    Thnk I might book me a place. Thanks for the info .

Had to re-check the date there. I actually forgot Im going to Florida on the 28th. How'd the happen???LOL
    I can go, I can go. YAY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Jake1 wrote: »
    Wow this looks interesting, plus its only up the road from me.
    I see there will be a talk on Seismology as well.
    Thnk I might book me a place. Thanks for the info .

Im goin to it also :)
    Professor Peter Lynch, UCD Meteorology and Climate Centre was my Course lecturer b4 i left UCD, Professor Chris Bean, UCD Was one of our lecturers for geology, so ye ill be goin to that :)

They hav the list of lectures on their site. :)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Im goin to it also :)
    Professor Peter Lynch, UCD Meteorology and Climate Centre was my Course lecturer b4 i left UCD, Professor Chris Bean, UCD Was one of our lecturers for geology, so ye ill be goin to that :)

They hav the list of lectures on their site. :)

Hopefully a few more Boardsies might go. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭IrishMetSoc

Thanks for posting this:).

We have updated the lecture titles:
    - Earth Vibrations: Earthquakes, Weather and the Earth’s ‘Hum’ by Professor Chris Bean, UCD.
    - Balance in the Atmosphere by Professor Peter Lynch, UCD.
    - Climate Change Adaptation - the Challenges for Ireland by Professor John Sweeney, Department of Geography, NUI Maynooth.
    - A Day in the Life of a Weather Forecaster by Katie Howard, Met Office, Exeter.
    - Climate Change by Duncan Stewart, TV presenter and architect.

The conference is open to all and no prior knowledge is required in order to attend.

Additional info can be found here: http://www.irishmetsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=200&Itemid=124

Irish Met Society

hello Irishmetsoc

Sounds fantastic.

can you tell me is pre-booking required, or can you just show up on the day?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Jake1,

Yes you need to pre-register to ensure you get a place. It's possible to do this through our website - there's a pay later option so you don't need to pay right away.

Let me know if you've any other questions.

Hi Jake1,

Yes you need to pre-register to ensure you get a place. It's possible to do this through our website - there's a pay later option so you don't need to pay right away.

Let me know if you've any other questions.

Thats great, thanks for that. :)

You're very welcome :)

Here's the link to some photos taken at last year's conference: http://www.irishmetsociety.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=125

Advertisement