Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with Headlights on 2000 Honda Civic

Options
  • 07-01-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Have a 2000 Honda Civic and headlights have stopped working. The dipped lights work fine, as do the full beams.

I've checked all fuses and none of them are blown (Left & Right Highbeams, Right & Left Lowbeams in interior fuse box and overall Headlights fuse in under-bonnet fuse box)

They went while I was driving while switching quickly between them.

Both of them went at the same time, which leads me to believe that its not the bulbs, and also the filaments in the bulb seem intact.

A friend said that it could be something to do with the switch itself at the steering column.

Anyone have any advice?

I know I should just take it to a auto-electrician, but funds are low and can really only afford the cost of a new set of bulbs or fuses if that's the problem...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

seethrough wrote: »
    Have a 2000 Honda Civic and headlights have stopped working. The dipped lights work fine, as do the full beams.

:confused:
    The only thing left are the parking light bulbs or are you one of them people who think fog lights are headlights? The fog lights are down at the bottom of the bumper, is this what your talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seethrough

Apologies, have my terminology wrong.

Front fog lights below the bumper work fine. Full headlight beams work fine. Parking lights work fine, its the dipped lights that don't work i.e. the setting between parking lights and full beams.

Do you think its just dirt on the contacts? Haven't got around to trying the above solution yet.

Fair play on saving yer man with the focus all that money by the way Plug

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Can you tell me are they only one or two separate bulbs in each light? Are they HID headlamp bulbs, it could be the ballast if two of them went like that.
    Yeah thanks for the fairplay gesture, Im delighted I saved him a fortune. Some mechanics are tools. It was a common problem on a common car. Wonder what the mechanic thought?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

what is your bulb type? if they are a dual filament bulbs usually the first thing to go is the dipped beams but the full beams will still work,plus unless you knew they were dual filament you might see the other filament and presume it was fine. i have the exact same issue on my 95 civic at the minute. This where i would start. even just buy a cheap bulb to test the theory ;)

Let us know how you get on

Advertisement