Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop the cat

Options
  • 07-01-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

The cat from next door is jumping up onto the trampoline and ripping the outer cover.
    Is there anything I can do to discourage the cat from getting up on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Don't you just love mischievious cats!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUiNKtWETfk

Just bring it in when not in use and don't tempt the cat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    The cat from next door is jumping up onto the trampoline and ripping the outer cover.
    Is there anything I can do to discourage the cat from getting up on it.

Buy a tub of Vick vapour rub and put some of it on the cover. You just need to put small blobs every so often (esp where they've already been digging into it) but the smell and the texture seem to do the trick. It's waterproof too so it'll survive the rain and snow. You'll need to replace it every week or two when the smell fades but it's a cheap and easy deterrent. A friend of mine used to put it on her garden fence to stop the neighbourhood cats from having nightly meetings/singing competitions there and it worked a treat without harming the cats.
    Failing that, use bits of orange peel scattered about as cats are not great fans of it. Plus, it's biodegradable too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

MaryK666 wrote: »
    Failing that, use bits of orange peel scattered about as cats are not great fans of it. Plus, it's biodegradable too :D
    My grandmother used orange peel for years. It made no difference to the cats, but destroyed the look of her garden and attracted slugs by the hundred.

A high-powered water pistol should deter the cat.

I'd recommend talking to your neighbour too. Maybe there's something they can do. I know I'd be mortified if one of my pets was damaging someone's property.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Take down the trampoline, it is too tempting for the cat and is probably a nuisance to the neighbours anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Sundew wrote: »
    Don't you just love mischievious cats!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUiNKtWETfk

Just bring it in when not in use and don't tempt the cat :D

The trampoline is used daily by the kids and their friends - too big to dismantle on a once off never mind daily basis.
    Rochester wrote: »
    Take down the trampoline, it is too tempting for the cat and is probably a nuisance to the neighbours anyway.

How's that?:mad:
    Cats welfare is obviously more important than the kids, I was looking for common sense solutions

We have a very private garden area, none of which is visible to neighbours - 12 foot high hedges.

We love having the cat in, as it happens, just if he could stop damaging the trampoline. The cat also happens to be best friends with our samoyed.
    MaryK666 wrote: »
    Buy a tub of Vick vapour rub and put some of it on the cover. You just need to put small blobs every so often (esp where they've already been digging into it) but the smell and the texture seem to do the trick. It's waterproof too so it'll survive the rain and snow. You'll need to replace it every week or two when the smell fades but it's a cheap and easy deterrent. A friend of mine used to put it on her garden fence to stop the neighbourhood cats from having nightly meetings/singing competitions there and it worked a treat without harming the cats.

Thanks. Will try the Vapour Rub, sounds like a great solution for everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

They also hate the smell of lavender oil, but that mightn't work outdoors - might get washed away easily.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Super soaker should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Rochester wrote: »
    That's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. The OP is entitled to have a trampoline, or as many trampolines as she wants, in her own garden. If the cat was scratching her car would you suggest that she get rid of the car?

OP if you're happy with having the cat in your garden you could look into anti-climb products designed to keep cats in their own gardens (I'm assuming that it jumps up on to the trampoline). There's one that's designed to go on fences, and it's very wobbly so that when the cat tries to jump onto it it falls back. Putting something like that on the trampoline might stop it from jumping up there. I'm sorry, but I can't remember what it's called. Pepper dust might work too, but you'd have to reapply it after rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Get off my lawn gel works too - they sell it in diy/pet stores and Aldi have it on offer from time to time

• Advertisement
Advertisement