Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toddlers and poo

Options
  • 07-01-2011 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

What is it with the three year olds' obsession with poo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Have a look at Freud's theory of psychosexual development (anal stage)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosexual_development

I'm sure there's many more theories as to why they find it so impressive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

What is it with the three year olds' obsession with poo?

I think you know enough about Freud and Lacan to answer that yourself, from what I know of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I remember the first time I went in the potty on my own and picked the potty up to show the folks. They gave me loads of praise and guess what they did then, they flushed it down the toilet. Felt like screaming at them, took me ages to make that and get in that thing and you just go flush it down the toilet. Whats the point.

JG009 wrote: »
    I remember the first time I went in the potty on my own and picked the potty up to show the folks. They gave me loads of praise and guess what they did then, they flushed it down the toilet. Felt like screaming at them, took me ages to make that and get in that thing and you just go flush it down the toilet. Whats the point.

I think that is a great example of the child seeing the production of their poo to their care takers as a gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

When my little one went commando at the beginning of training he did this. He would hide and do his poo and then look for a wipe and bring it to me like a gift.

Now that he is not going commando he is scared of the toilet or something but I can see him turning purple and flat out refusing to even admit he is doing a poo.

I dont know what to do. I think Im cocking this up.

• Advertisement

When my little one went commando at the beginning of training he did this. He would hide and do his poo and then look for a wipe and bring it to me like a gift.

Now that he is not going commando he is scared of the toilet or something but I can see him turning purple and flat out refusing to even admit he is doing a poo.

I dont know what to do. I think Im cocking this up.

Have you looked at any of Winnicott's stuff, might help make sense of this. Especially his concept of a "Good Enough Mother".

Advertisement