Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacationing/Holidaying in a country with extremely anti-LGBT legislation

Options
  • 07-01-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people think:
    My partner and I were researching places for a sun vacation.
    We liked the look of Tobago until we read that it is illegal for LGBT to enter this country and that "Homosexual Acts" carry a life imprisonment prosecution.

Was just wondering what people think on two levels:

1. The Ethical View:
      • Would you consider visiting a country with this legal view point as supporting such a homophobic stance?
      • OR Would you consider it sticking two fingers up to such a homophobic stance and supporting local LGBT citizens?
      • OR Would you ignore the stance of a country and consider it a chance to see some amazing wildlife and to have a great holiday regardless of what the country thinks of you as an individual?
      2.Your safety travelling
      • How safe would you feel travelling/holidaying as a couple in a country with such a strict anti-LGBT policy?
      • Would this outway the above ethical views?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I'd recommend you stay away from Jamaica. I'm guessing their neighbours have a similiar mentality. I read up on it on wiki and was shocked and appalled. There's plenty of socially advanced countries to choose from. Not worth risking getting your head kicked in for being gay or trans imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think safety is the most important issue - I wouldn't consider it at all on the basis of safety

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Yeah we made the same decision ourselves not to travel there for our own safety. We need some down time to relax, don’t think we would be able to do that when we are worried of being persecuted for a "Homosexual Act."

I am interested in people’s views on "Ethical Travel" when it comes to countries with anti-LGBT legislation though.

My heart goes out to any members of the LGBT international community living and growing up in these sorts of countries. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

On principle i would never visit a country that discriminates against gay and lesbian people.

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I wouldn't visit somewhere with harsh discrimination. The closest I came was Poland where it was quite frowned upon in places. Didn't stop me booking a double room though.
      oisindoyle wrote: »
      On principle i would never visit a country that discriminates against gay and lesbian people.
      So you wouldn't visit Ireland then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Why on Gods earth would you put yourself in so much danger? If you got arrested you'd be put in jail and treated terribly. I wouldn't even dream of going to one of these places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I wouldn't have any issue with it tbh. Like some countries I would never want to go to anyway (Sudan and Yemen have no particular draw for me!) but it wouldn't stop me travelling to somewhere like Malaysia or Dubai.

I do not approve of anti-LGBT legislation in any country but when travelling anywhere I would be more worried about safety (i.e. mugging/assault etc.) than the country's social views.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd never visit a country where it's illegal to be gay or to "commit" homosexual acts. Safety aside, I just don't like the idea of handing over money to such regimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I'm a straight man but I'd never visit a country with anti-LGBT legislation out of principle.

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

my answer to both of the OP's questions: I'd stay the fuck out,regardless of niceties/attractions.simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I'm a young gay guy and I'm about to go backpacking through Eastern Africa, probably the most dangerous place in the World to be gay. It's not an issue for me.

Discretion is the better part of valor...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

When choosing a holiday destination I never take anything about the internal politics of the country into consideration, the thought never even occours to me. *shrugs*

azezil wrote: »
      When choosing a holiday destination I never take anything about the internal politics of the country into consideration, the thought never even occours to me. *shrugs*

Hopefully you'll never get the urge to visit saudi arabia or afghanistan, where if the authorities suspect you're gay, it's byebye head!:eek::eek::eek:

Azure_sky wrote: »
      Discretion is the better part of valor...

Thats very true, the thing is though that if you visited a country where homosexuality carried a custodial sentence, then you'd be so busy worrying about attracting the wrong sort of attention that you wouldnt be able to actually enjoy your holiday and have fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

I wouldn't visit out of principle, either.

But think about yourself and your partner, too. It's supposed to be a holiday -- a chance to de-stress. I can think of nothing more stressful than visiting a country where you run the risk of getting beaten up for sharing a bed with your partner. Having said that, tourist resorts in these places are always Westernized, but it wouldn't be my idea of a relaxing break.

If you're thinking of going to the Caribbean, why not just go to South America instead? It's just as much fun and large parts of it are very gay friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

My father was living and working in Jamaica for years. He was always trying to get me to visit - flights and all paid for. There was never any chance I was going to go, although he assured me that it was unlikely that anyone would guess that I was not straight. Personally, I don't think that was the point. I am not going to go anywhere and spend money when i know people like me are not welcome. And for me that includes anywhere I know I'm unwelcome as a bisexual, a westerner, an american, a woman or a heavily tattooed person. screw them. they can have their various hell holes.

WOW, I did not realise Jamaica was so homophobic. Bunch of people who can't think for themselves. My sister and her husband are actually on honeymoon there at the moment, although they are staying at a honeymoon resort with maximum security.

I really want to see parts of the world so I'd probably just get on with it and hide my sexuality if it would affect my safety. That said, Jamaica appears nowhere on my list.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Hopefully you'll never get the urge to visit saudi arabia or afghanistan, where if the authorities suspect you're gay, it's byebye head!:eek::eek::eek:

Somehow I have this feeling they'd be somewhat more tollerant if said gay was a foreigner visiting their country and throwing lots of cash around. I think you'll find that's more often the case ;)

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I am not going to go anywhere and spend money when i know people like me are not welcome. And for me that includes anywhere I know I'm unwelcome as a bisexual, a westerner, an american, a woman or a heavily tattooed person. screw them. they can have their various hell holes.

Just a little Off-topic but your bit about tattoos got me thinking/remembering.
      I was living in Australia when I heard about a fellow Kiwi being stopped at imigration in Oz and not being allowed to enter cause he had facial tattoos (Though it could of been a cover line cause he was also of Maori Ethnicity)
      Mad bit was he had been living in Oz for about 10years, and had 2 Australian children, and had only gone back to NZ for a tangi/funeral!

Advertisement