Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amp?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Here's the deal, I have a Squire strat and an Epiphone dot, and I need a new practice amp. Any suggestions? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

What's your price range? And what style music are you looking to play?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Depending on how large you want it to be, the Roland Microcube is ususally a solid option! They're great fun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Depending on how large you want it to be, the Roland Microcube is ususally a solid option! They're great fun too.

+1 for the cube, 15 cube is round 85, 20 cube is bout 150(these are thomann prices, in shops could be more, but u might get lucky some places or u could try a cash converters,they get in decent stuff from time to time, i'd just check it first)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

RC88 wrote: »
    +1 for the cube, 15 cube is round 85, 20 cube is bout 150(these are thomann prices, in shops could be more, but u might get lucky some places or u could try a cash converters,they get in decent stuff from time to time, i'd just check it first)

The 15w Cube was €59 on Thomann recently. I haven't checked it for a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

The 15w Cube was €59 on Thomann recently. I haven't checked it for a couple of weeks.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/roland_cube_15xl.htm
    must have been a special offer maybe ?
    just checked it on this, says €85

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

RC88 wrote: »
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/roland_cube_15xl.htm
    must have been a special offer maybe ?
    just checked it on this, says €85

Yep, twas €59 alright. That is a newer model with a different type of Distortion. The €59 cube must have been end of line stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kilgannon

whatever you do do not be tempted by marshalls, they weigh to much and you will never be able to use the power it is intened for

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Blackstar HT-1 combo.

1 watt of pure valve tone - great for clean, blues and metal. You can get it with or without reverb.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

kilgannon wrote: »
    whatever you do do not be tempted by marshalls, they weigh to much and you will never be able to use the power it is intened for

eh, Marshall do have pratise amps you know!

Class 5
    AVT 20
    MG series etc.....

They don't weigh much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

If you really feel like slumming it, go to 1to1music.co.uk. They ship for free around Ireland- you'll get a Chinese-made 15W amp for around €50- I bought one to just doodle about on around a two years ago, and it's still working perfectly. Pretty okay sound out of them too.

Obviously, if you want something that sounds a bit better, check on Thomann.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

omen80 wrote: »
    AVT 20
    MG series etc.....

They don't weigh much!

But they don't sound great either!

An alternative to the Blackstar 1 watt-er is the Blackheart Little Giant stack. It has a 5 and a 3 watt mode, and more elaborate controls than the Blackstar. Thomann have it for €259, which is only €59 more than the Blackstar.

Take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 music time

What's your price range? And what style music are you looking to play?

I play a wide range of genres but mainly alt rock! price range isn't exactly an issue but the cheeper the better.
    By the way I already have a fender frontman 15w so just looking for a better sound
    :D

If you want to keep it small and cheap, I really think the Microcube or the Black Heart Little Giant are the way to go.

Check youtube for videos and see for yourself.

Advertisement