Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Technician callout

• 06-01-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭

Our outmoded UPC box is on the blink demanding a hard reset at least twice a day (completely unable to record) etc. and I've looked for a replacement on behalf of my mother. This was promised for next Monday coming...so far so good.
    So far we've had two calls from a robot asked if we'd like to cancel as the fault was fixed (not), both times dealt with by pressing the required buttons on the phone. The latest was from a human saying that "the fault in the area has now been fixed " and therefore everything was alright. Needless to say, the box is still screwed up and the excuse given was more applicable to plumbing than to individual electronics - is this now something to be tolerated when UPC promise to send a technician ? At least NTL weren't this creative when it came to ducking out of responsibilities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HermesHermione

When UPC knocked off our analogue system last year, supposedly having given us notice, they then sent a crew out to set us up on a digital system and we had to be in from 9am - 5pm. About 4pm a chap rings looking for directions to my home where dear husband was pulling what remains of his hair out, from my mobile I gave directions and after three attempts of going wrong, the fellows arrived at 16.50pm...they went up on the roof and then told poor dear husband that there was no good signal and we could not have a service anymore. I had paid them the annual fee and they owed me six months service. I rang their number after bewildered husband called me and after 40 mins. I got through to an eejit that said they would investigate especially since I told them my neighbour had a perfect signal. The end of the story is, we now have a perfect signal although we have had problems with the box thingy twice. We had the analogue system 20 years and never saw a person from NTL, we have this new system now and have no idea how to tape a programme or hardly change the channels but that is progress :-) and of course we have lost three days holidays between us as these people cannot say what hour of the day they might come, I do feel angry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

When UPC knocked off our analogue system last year, supposedly having given us notice, they then sent a crew out to set us up on a digital system and we had to be in from 9am - 5pm. About 4pm a chap rings looking for directions to my home where dear husband was pulling what remains of his hair out, from my mobile I gave directions and after three attempts of going wrong, the fellows arrived at 16.50pm...they went up on the roof and then told poor dear husband that there was no good signal and we could not have a service anymore. I had paid them the annual fee and they owed me six months service. I rang their number after bewildered husband called me and after 40 mins. I got through to an eejit that said they would investigate especially since I told them my neighbour had a perfect signal. The end of the story is, we now have a perfect signal although we have had problems with the box thingy twice. We had the analogue system 20 years and never saw a person from NTL, we have this new system now and have no idea how to tape a programme or hardly change the channels but that is progress :-) and of course we have lost three days holidays between us as these people cannot say what hour of the day they might come, I do feel angry about that.

That's exactly why I will probably be sticking to analogue until its dying breath because you just stick the cable in the back of the TV and away you go. No messing around with fiddly boxes that are just waiting to give you trouble.

Only had Cablelink (as it was) out once to move a cable point and that was it. Never any trouble with it.

I will be apprehensive when the analogue cable is finally switched off. Could do without the inevitable hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HermesHermione

Koloman, we did hang on until we were dumped...and despite the fact that we are both computer literate, neither of us have a clue how to work the 'thing' that we have come to loath. I also think we cannot tape a programme unless it is the one on view which is rather self defeating unless we could not watch it at that time... yes the clarity of the picture is much improved but we never complained of the analogue picture. They were writing to us for about two years offering us free this and that and cheaper service if we would change over as a guy' would be in our area....then they started doing the sneaky thing...removing our channels such as the Discovery one, and Bravo not that I minded that one going... they said they needed the extra bandwidth...whatever all that means. So hang in as long as you can for a trouble free life...at least from the stresses of dealing with (non) customer care at UPC :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My problem isn't with the box - the little thing gets faulty, you ring up, have it replaced. 1,2,3. Its the idiotic excuses and hoops you have to go through to even get a technician to the door. I'm paying these people, not the other way around and if someone is going to lie to me, I'd appreciate some better excuses. :rolleyes:

Advertisement