Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have UPC removed old analog lines?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have UPC digital in the sitting room. There are older analog connection boxes on the walls in the kitchen and upstairs bedrooms.
    I'm told that if I connect a TV to the analog boxes I can receive the analog channels. This is not working though.
    After trying all combinations of connections etc, I came to the conclusion the old analog cable running to the outside box of the house had been disconnected when we changed to digital. When I lift the manhole cover to see if it's been disconnected, it seems that there is now only digital cables in place. Does this make sense? Any help?! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

UPC cables are all the same. There is no difference between them, even if upgraded to digital.

Could your whole area have been upgraded recently? The old cables may no longer work and they may have forgotten to remove them. The old cables may have been in poor condition when you upgraded to digital yourself, so they might have put a new one in then and disconnected the old.

Multiroom is cheap with UPC, so best to call them and arrange a professional install. Don't go snooping in manholes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

Well that's the thing - multiroom is cheap and I don't mind paying for it but I started into this conundrum and now it has my head wrecked!

Are you sure their cables are the same? Because if I plug the TV cable coming from the wall directly into a TV I won't receive any signal - obviously, because it needs to be decoded before it reaches the TV.

The thing is, UPC themselves told me that yes I can plug into an old analog socket and tune roughly 15 analogue stations for free.

So how do I do that??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

chiplad wrote: »
    Well that's the thing - multiroom is cheap and I don't mind paying for it but I started into this conundrum and now it has my head wrecked!

Are you sure their cables are the same? Because if I plug the TV cable coming from the wall directly into a TV I won't receive any signal - obviously, because it needs to be decoded before it reaches the TV.

The thing is, UPC themselves told me that yes I can plug into an old analog socket and tune roughly 15 analogue stations for free.

So how do I do that??!!

They are the same. It sounds like the old cable is disconnected.

Advertisement