Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with.....

Options
  • 06-01-2011 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

FTP?
    Ok so I have recently decided to try and learn the tricky process of web design. But im stuck at the first hurdle, Ive made a mock up site(one image for testing) with photoshop. The problem is I can't upload it?

(Ive read about 100 help threads on google still no luck)

Im using filezilla (heres some shots)

Capture login.JPG

Capture test.JPG

Any help would be appreciated,thanks.:confused:

(OTHER DETAILS: I turned off all my firewalls

Im using a free host just experimenting

That is definitely the correct login and password and site address

I had a simlair problem a few years back and kicked the bucket with it)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Maybe try a different FTP client?

Or just enter the FTP address into the windows explorer address bar, and put in your username and password when prompted.

Does the free provider offer any help - or clarification of their host details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Naasty

Hi Dades thanks for the reply.

I just tryed another FTP and I have the exact same problem it just doesn't load at all. The reason I posted this on boards instead of some tech site was because I read some stuff about routers and it could be your ISP (Eircom) blocking me. Was hoping somebody had a simlair problem.

I entered in the site address but I get no promp im allready logged in.

&

Its not the free provider I tryed it with another free host and I had the same problem so frustrating. ayiyiyiyiy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EggDesign

Can you log into the ftp at all or are you just getting an error when you try to upload the image?

I can't log into the FTP at all either of them ( filezilla & smartftp)

Im probablly doing something stupid wrong but have tried everything.

The most likely cause is an incorrect username or password but i know you said you were sure that they are correct. Next step would be to contact the hosting company. Could be an issue at their end or they may have reset passwords for security reasons.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I have allready reset the password twice and used another free host aswell.

Im not giving up this time so frustrating:)
    142233.JPG

Its that connection timed out that I just don't get.

Hmmm, try cyberduck http://cyberduck.ch/

I use that and never have any issues. If you trust me feel free to pm your ftp details & ill test it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You sure the host address/I.P. is correct? Perhaps their documentation is out of date and they've changed recently or somethin?

Best bet is to contact their support team and give all of the relevant information, say what login details you're using, etc.

Although if it's a free host I can't imagine they invest much resources in support...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Dave! wrote: »
    Best bet is to contact their support team and give all of the relevant information, say what login details you're using, etc.

Although if it's a free host I can't imagine they invest much resources in support...
    Are you sure they offer FTP? Yahoo's GeoCities only had a file manager.

Maybe you need to set your FTP connection to be Passive mode.

Can you post a link to the site of the free host?

Thanks for the replies driving me crazy.

They do offer FTP they even give login details on the site in control panel.(I copied them from there even reset teh password)

I changed it to passive mode still no luck.

Heres the site http://www.110mb.com/

• Advertisement

Sorry for double post.

Finally was able to login to thier forums.
    You don't get FTP here with free accounts any more. I suggest you look for other free web hosts that offer FTP in their "free" package.

Recently changed their policy it seems no wonder even though they still advertise it, now to find somewhere that does? Any suggestions for free hosting with ftp?(

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Naasty wrote: »
    Any suggestions for free hosting with ftp?
    I think that you should fork out for paid hosting. One Irish company has basic hosting (no PHP or MySQL) for 20 euro/year. You will get FTP, email and, importantly, decent support!

Yeah its just not worth going through all these free sites riddled with ads. just wanted to test a few things out,so annoying!

Advertisement