Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Vomiting

Options
  • 06-01-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Our GSD X Collie has been vomiting for 2 days now. We brought her to dublin with us yesterday which is nearly 2hrs driving and at first it was just a bit of yellow bile-like stuff in the car so we thought it was just that she was car sick. But she hasn't eaten anything since Tuesday dinner. On the return trip this evening she brought up/pooped something similar in apperance to cooked mince meat. (her poop is always fairly solid and consistent not like what we saw today) When we got home I put out water for her and put down food incase she wanted it, she didn't. About 2 hours later she vomited up what looked like mashed potatoe with some cabbage mixed in possibly some bacon in there too. She hasn't been lethargic or anything she just seems totally herself apart from not eating. Is it just her getting rid of something she ate or should I bring her to the vet? Sorry but I'm really worried about her and if I can help her at home then I don't really want to take her to the vet.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Bring your dog to the vet ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Puppies can go downhill very quickly with vomiting and diarrhoea. If it hasn't stopped after 1-2 days, even for adult dogs, it's time to call the vet...it might get better but it might get much worse! And I know it's getting late right now, but still better to ring now rather than at 1am!!

At least give the vet a call and see what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

VET ASAP xx she may need to be put on a drip.Puppies can go downhill VERY quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tippgirl1

So after I posted she slept right through till about 11 then got up looked to go out pottered about as normal went to the loo which was normal as I mentioned her loo really is fairly consistent so this I took to be a good sign she came back in had a drink not a huge amount but then she ate for the first time since Tuesdays dinner! Just a little homemade diced chicken breast and rice. She's been to the loo again since and this was back to normal too hopefully she'll be ok now and what ever it was has left her system I've the vets number already to go on my phone for the morning anyway if she is unwell again in the morning but it's 2.45 now she ate just after 11 and has been fine since and is now sleeping soundley all tucked up in bed!

Thanks for all of your advice it's great to know that there is somewhere like this where people don't jump down your throat when all you're looking for is people who may have prior knowledge of what you're going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

So glad she is feeling better x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Probably the cabbage etc. might have upset her tum plus the road trip, is she nervous in cars? My middle girl feels icky after the car and I normally don't feed her till a good bit later because she'd still bit a bit jittery.
    The food could of been too salty or there might of been something in it that could of irritated her tum.

My youngest pooch was sick over the bank holiday but a phone call from the vets put my mind at ease so if your pup is sick again give the vet a quick call and they can advise you on what to do. Usually when they are sick or have the runs or both it's best not to give them anything for the rest of the day and just give them plain water and then gradually give them small amounts of boiled rice, boiled chicken or something like royal canin sensitivity (I find it brilliant for firming up their poops).

Some vets have a 24 hour number you can ring if really worried, I hate disturbing them on weekends or bank holidays but it does put your mind at rest.

Advertisement