Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Clonmel??

Options
  • 06-01-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey,
    I'm moving to Clonmel in April this year to do work placement for 5 months in Boston Scientific. I was wondering what Clonmel is like?
    • What's there to do?
    • Is there a gym there?
    • What's the night life like, are there any clubs?
    • Are there many sports clubs I could join (football/soccer)?
    • Where would I start to look for a house to rent?

Sound for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

Hey I lived in Clonmel for 4 yrs and still have family and friends living there... I don't go back as much anymore and things have probably changed a bit but here's my 2 cents, hope it helps and all the best with your new placement, I know a few ppl who work there or have in the best, doesn't seem like a bad job to have :)

• What's there to do?
    There's not a lot to do but if you wanted to find something you could shop, join a soccer team (I'm a girl so I haven't the info on this but all the guys I knew went playing soccer regularly somewhere, hopefully someone else can give you the details), play bowling, go to the cinema, eat out, or join a local club which you'll probably find info about in the Nationalist newspaper.
    • Is there a gym there?
    I could be mixing Boston Scientific up with Abbot, but I think they may have their own gym facilities for staff usage. If I'm wrong on this then there are local gyms - I used the public gym and pool which had reasonable membership rates and whose staff were extra helpful and friendly.
    I think Dannos has closed... Or it had when I was last home but aside from this you've O Keefes late bar (3 dancefloors/rooms), Jaspers (I think that's the name, it's upstairs in the Posthouse Bar - it's like dancing inside a box, horrible, tiny), there's a new club I believe on Parnell St but I haven't been there... Mulcahys is a good spot for starting out the night and I also enjoyed Gleesons (don't know if its still there, its been a while).
    Hopefully someone else can advise you on this, but again the Nationalist is likely to mention some.
    Daft.ie and Nationalist newspaper I reckon..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭pooch90

RE: where to rent- there are loads of estates within walking distance of Boston. The Nationalist and South Tipp Today will have plenty. There's probably existing house shares from Abbott/Boston looking for people.

What to do?
    There's plenty of casual soccer games around. Astro turf and indoor.
    Lots of gyms too.
    Nightlife is ok, not going to set the world on fire but good.

I'm only a blow-in to Clonmel but I've been here 4 years now and I'm really happy. It can be hard to make friends I've found as it can be a close-knit kind of a place but if you're on placement and in a house-share you should be fine. If you want to know anything else feel free to PM (not that I'm an expert though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Sinclair property would be the biggest letting agency for accomaditon, they are based on Mary street in Clonmel.
    Night life depends on what your into, there is a huge variety of pubs in clonmel.
    Gleesons has live bands and attracts a nice crowd, always freindly in there.
    Piper inn has heavy metal and punk rock bands sometimes.
    Mulcahys is a nice pub but you need your own crowd going in there. They serve nice food as well.
    Post house has live music in front bar and a late disco bar at the back. Nice crowd going in there too.
    Okeffes is always packed and is the main night club in town but many dont like it.
    The main gym in the town is located at the swimming pool and would also be the cheapest.
    Park hotel and Knocklofty house have great gyms but unless your driving they are not an option.
    Mulcahys also has a snooker hall and there is a bolwing alley on the bypass.
    Loads of good shops including Tesco, dunnes, marks and sparks,
    Eating out then try eddie rockets, or any of the indian or chinese restaurants.
    If you want to pm me I will post you the local papers so you can have a look, It will give you an idea of whats happening in Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭pooch90

Just regarding sinclairs. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! They don't give a damn about their tenants and will find anyway possible to screw you out of a deposit. The same with most letting agents in the town. Presume OP will be looking for house share so local papers are best bet or daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

What's there to do?

Difficult question to reply to. You're going to have to explore the place and apply your own interests.
    Is there a gym there?

Yup. It's at the Swimming Pool. Beside the Museum and across from the Library. Decent rates, set up and staff.
    What's the night life like, are there any clubs?

Quite good but I'm set in my ways about were I go. Gleesons is a great spot. Friendly staff, nice beer, decent music and good people. Never a spot of bother. Moynihans, Chawkes, Coachman are all fine too but pending your age they may be too 'old'. Clubs. Posthouse has a late set up but not a fan. O' Keeffes is there too and free. Although it has the reputation for being a cattle mart. Excellent smoking area though. Dannos is odd. It opens and closes for certain times of the year: bank holiday, New Years, Christmas etc.
    Are there many sports clubs I could join (football/soccer)?

Plenty of clubs in the area from leagues to Monday night kick abouts. I'm not totally knowledgeable on that section. Plenty of variety.
    Where would I start to look for a house to rent?

Online, newspapers maybe.

I hope you enjoy Clonmel, great place IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

davidfla90 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm moving to Clonmel in April this year to do work placement for 5 months in Boston Scientific. I was wondering what Clonmel is like?
    • What's there to do?
    • Is there a gym there?
    Sound for any advice!

I believe that Boston have a tie up with a local hotel for the use of their gym/swimmimg pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

There is a good gym at Boston sic. Good equipment and a trainer three times a week for circuits. Basically free for employees. Usually about 6 to 9 people on work experience at same time and a good few young people there so the Craic should be good.

Call hr and ask about accommodation. There are often ads posted with accommodation available. You will have no issue.

Enjoy and get the most out of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

davidfla90 wrote: »
    Hey,

• What's there to do?
    • Is there a gym there?
    Sound for any advice!

In a much earlier life I had to relocate from Dublin to Clonmel in the early 1990's.
    Initially I was very weary but I need not have worried : Clonmel was (is) a superb town with plenty to do and plenty see.
    I enjoyed my two years down there so much that I have retained a lot of contacts in Clonmel since.

What you will find is that there are a lot of people living in Clonmel who are not from Clonmel. Many have moved there for work, so there will be plenty of people in the same boat as you.
    Good luck.

Advertisement