Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters question about fees and grant

Options
  • 06-01-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a quick seemingly stupid question but my locla council aren't picking up the phone, probably until tomorrow so maybe someone can help. I am in my final year of an undergraduate course and wish to go straight into a masters in Trinity starting Sep 2011. I have recieved the full maintenance grant for the 4 years of my undergraduate course, and understand that I should be inline to get it for my masters. During this time the student services charge (currently at €1500) was also paid. The tution fees for my course in Trinity seems to be €2500, is does anyone know if I will be able to get this paid for aswell? And is there a separate student services charge for masters courses (that willl most likely be paid for)? Any info from anyone would be great, thankyou.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I was wondering the same myself. If anyone could explain the situation it would be a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

generally for Masters their is 1 fee ie no separate registration fee at least that's how it works in UCD - so yes the grant pays the fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Thanks for the response, its weekend now so I'll ring on monday, but whats confusing me is according to the postgraduate fees section of Citizens Information, the course is subsidised to a reduced fee of €2500, but it seems to be a separate section to the free fees initiative that I was availing of. It does give me a bit of hope that this oldish link on postgrad.ie claims that the "providing body may pay for some or all of your tuition fees" up to an amount of €6270. (But that was in 2008, times they have a changed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

From experience they pay up to about 6k or so - they did in 2008 anyway, similar to the link provided! This was definitely the case up until last academic intake and I gather it is still the case - the application is processed in conjunction with your grant app and if you qualify for the grant you get your postgrad fees (assuming the course is an 'approved' one which it most likely is) up to the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I started in September 2010 on a masters in UCD the fees are 6200 - the grant paid the fees in full apart from a student services charge of 150

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dancom

Hey,

I had the same issue last year before starting my masters.

If you are entitled to the full grant it'll pay fees up to €6250, anything more you have to pay yourself.

check our studentfinance.ie It's great for info on grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Hi, thanks for all the replies, yeah the fees are paid and I should get the full grant as usual. One last thing, what was it like doing your masters anyone? I've been looking at past dissertations from the course I'd like to do and they seem pretty large and terrifying :eek: Much hard work and stress in comparison to a bachelors degree?

Advertisement