Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burst pipes in rental accom... insurance query?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Over christmas whilst away the pipes burst in a rental accommodation. Damage done to the landlords furniture, carpets and beds etc. Some of the tenants property was also damaged, books, art, electrical goods, etc. Landlord claims he has insurance which will cover his stuff but not the tenants.. Any advice will be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

It's usual that the landlord takes out insurance for structure and his contents not for the tenant's property, it is their obligation to insure that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Tenants should have their own contents insurance.

It's not the responsibility for the landlord to ensure anything other than what is his - the structure and his contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Paulw wrote: »
    Tenants should have their own contents insurance.

It's not the responsibility for the landlord to ensure anything other than what is his - the structure and his contents.

Isn't it a rule that one needs to have an insurable (financial?) interest in the property, so even if he wanted to I doubt the landlord would be able to insure the tenant's stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rick flair

On the other hand what caused the pipes to burst ? Did you alert the landlord to the frozen pipes or water problems ? Did the LL do anything to maintain the pipes ? Did the LL callin during the cold spell ?

If the over hob fell off the wall and broke your nice IPOD i dont think it is fair that you foot the bill. The landlord is liable for any damage his property causes, just as if the pipes burst and flooded next door. Whether he has insurance is irrelevant - he could be held liable - but the facts need to be laid out.

Talk to him and meet half-way perhaps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Isn't it a rule that one needs to have an insurable (financial?) interest in the property, so even if he wanted to I doubt the landlord would be able to insure the tenant's stuff.

Exactly. That's why tenants must insure their own stuff.
    rick flair wrote: »
    On the other hand what caused the pipes to burst ?

If the over hob fell off the wall and broke your nice IPOD i dont think it is fair that you foot the bill. The landlord is liable for any damage his property causes, just as if the pipes burst and flooded next door.

But, isn't that why people need insurance in the first place? Both the landlord and the tenant?

I've never been a landlord, but I have been a tenant, and I always made sure I had my contents insured.

I don't see why the landlord should even have to make any offer to the tenant, unless he knowingly caused the fault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement