Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating on or off when topping up??

Options
  • 06-01-2011 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

We have a Ferroli Tempra 18 Boiler which is giving trouble at the moment. I think it needs to be topped up but can anyone tell me should the heating be on or off to do this?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

Turn the heating off, the system vents easier when the pump isnt running also

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ellie1511

Thanks for that! I know it needs to be at 1bar when it's off but wasn't sure where to start!

kscobie wrote: »
    Turn the heating off, the system vents easier when the pump isnt running also

We topped up with the heating off until the pressure reached 1bar. Then we turned the heating on. The pressure never went above 1.3bar and when we turned the heating off it dropped to almost .5bar. We topped up again and turned the heating on again. Now the rads are hardly getting hot even though the pressure is staying up at 1.3bar! Anyone know what we've done wrong? The bolier was only serviced about 5 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Its actually best topping the heating system up when off and cold. When the system is cold you should have about 1 bar pressure for an accurate reading. It will rise when its on but when its cold again it should sit about 1 bar, if its down to the .5 bar then you've got a leak somewhere. Check accurate readings first

THank you for that. we topped up a second time and the pressure is behaving itself now and staying at 1 bar with the heating off but the rads are not getting hot when we turn on the heating! We checked them all to see if they needed bleeding and they're all fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

ellie1511 wrote: »
    THank you for that. we topped up a second time and the pressure is behaving itself now and staying at 1 bar with the heating off but the rads are not getting hot when we turn on the heating! We checked them all to see if they needed bleeding and they're all fine.

none of them?

when you say not getting hot.. are they warming but just not to the full heat you expect or are they cold as if the heating is not one?

Sparkpea wrote: »
    none of them?

when you say not getting hot.. are they warming but just not to the full heat you expect or are they cold as if the heating is not one?

Hi, they were all just barely luke warm! We left the heating on for ages. The pressure still seems to be holding this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭greenasgrass

Hi, they were all just barely luke warm! We left the heating on for ages. The pressure still seems to be holding this morning.

I assume you bled any air out of the radiators also?

I assume you bled any air out of the radiators also?

We checked all the radiators to see if they needed bleeding. On all of them as soon as we opened the bleed valve water came out so we assumed they didn't need bleeding??

We checked all the radiators to see if they needed bleeding. On all of them as soon as we opened the bleed valve water came out so we assumed they didn't need bleeding??

Sounds like the system is full and at pressure which points to a boiler problem or a blockage (very unlikely). If you can check the outlet pipe from the boiler to see is it at correct temperature (i.e. very hot). If this is also cold/lukewarm then there could be an issue with either the boiler controller/thermostat or something else within the boiler. Is the boiler coming on/off intermittantly (say every 5 mins) or is it constantly firing? i.e. does it think it's reaching the correct temperature. Also what setting is your room thermostat(s) and the boiler thermostat at?

• Advertisement

Sounds like the system is full and at pressure which points to a boiler problem or a blockage (very unlikely). If you can check the outlet pipe from the boiler to see is it at correct temperature (i.e. very hot). If this is also cold/lukewarm then there could be an issue with either the boiler controller/thermostat or something else within the boiler. Is the boiler coming on/off intermittantly (say every 5 mins) or is it constantly firing? i.e. does it think it's reaching the correct temperature. Also what setting is your room thermostat(s) and the boiler thermostat at?

The boiler seems to be coming on and off intermittantly. The room Thermostat is at around 22degC and the boiler one seems to be at around 70degC - if I'm looking at the correct one! There's a little diagram of what looks like a Radiator under the one on the boiler. I have no idea how hot the outlet pipe is. I can check that later when I get home.

The boiler seems to be coming on and off intermittantly. The room Thermostat is at around 22degC and the boiler one seems to be at around 70degC - if I'm looking at the correct one! There's a little diagram of what looks like a Radiator under the one on the boiler. I have no idea how hot the outlet pipe is. I can check that later when I get home.

Both those stat setting right Ellie. It sounds like the boiler thinks it's reaching the correct temperature and then cutting out (hence the intermittant operation) so the internal thermostat may be faulty. That's just a guess but try to see what temperature the outlet pipe gets up to. If that is lukewarm then I suspect you need a RGI engineer to look at it. If it's hot then it's a problem in the water circuit. Do not attempt a repair yourself unless qualified as this is a gas appliance. If it was serviced a number of weeks ago the same engineer should cut you a deal and fix it for a lower cost. Worth a try anyway! Best of luck.

Both those stat setting right Ellie. It sounds like the boiler thinks it's reaching the correct temperature and then cutting out (hence the intermittant operation) so the internal thermostat may be faulty. That's just a guess but try to see what temperature the outlet pipe gets up to. If that is lukewarm then I suspect you need a RGI engineer to look at it. If it's hot then it's a problem in the water circuit. Do not attempt a repair yourself unless qualified as this is a gas appliance. If it was serviced a number of weeks ago the same engineer should cut you a deal and fix it for a lower cost. Worth a try anyway! Best of luck.

Will do, thank you!

Advertisement