Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about weather

Options
  • 06-01-2011 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Heading to Saalbach this Sat for a week & I'm worried about the weather & thus piste conditions. Temps are warmer than here about 5-7 degrees & rain predicted. Does this mean the pistes are going to be gone to bits ?? Anyone know what they are currently like? Website states abut 40cm on lower slopes at the min. Is this good/bad? Fretting as i have organized this trip for a group & I know I'll never live it down if the snow is crap.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

moorele wrote: »
    Heading to Saalbach this Sat for a week & I'm worried about the weather & thus piste conditions. Temps are warmer than here about 5-7 degrees & rain predicted. Does this mean the pistes are going to be gone to bits ?? Anyone know what they are currently like? Website states abut 40cm on lower slopes at the min. Is this good/bad? Fretting as i have organized this trip for a group & I know I'll never live it down if the snow is crap.

Thanks in advance.

I've been in Saalbach in Feb when temps during the day have been 12+, i wouldn't worry too much about it. Start the day on the side of the mountain thats in the shade for best conditions. Also try stay above the mid stations if you can as it will be colder at the top of the mountain.

The weather can change very fast so you could have perfect conditions next week, you never know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm currently hoping that the BBC weather girl is just being overly cautious with her predictions for the next few days and that there isn't going to be any snow between me and Gatwick this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It's all about the altitude, you're probably looking at the temp in the valley.
    This site is good for forecasts, and you can see the temp differences at each station : http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/mid

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

Thanks for that link olaola! Fingers crossed it will be fine! Praying for a big dump of snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

No snow forecast till the 8th of Jan but piste conditions are classed as good by an independent rep on the ground.

Piste will be fine and they will run the snow guns at night when the temps are lower.

40CM is fine at the bottom for Saalbach as most of the area is meadow and it only needs a little snow to be skiable.

Off piste may be a little limited, but piste will be fine and Sallbach is a great town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement