Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Camcorder isn't working

Options
  • 06-01-2011 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I'm having with a new camcorder.

I recently got a Canon FS307 and when I was buying it checked with the guy in the shop that it'd work with my MacBook. I brought it home, shot a few things and then tried to put those onto my laptop. But when I connected it to the USB port it didn't make any sign that it recognised the laptop and it didn't appear in Finder.

As I'm back at home I connected the camcorder to my parents computer. Lots of pinging and happy sounds later I'm watching the videos on MediaPlayer (as far as I remember it automatically went to that).

The only thing I could think of to do was to save the videos onto my USB but when I tried to get them onto my laptop iMovie wouldn't let me near them and I was told they weren't movie files.

As you can see, I've got no idea what to do at all. If anyone knows how to help me access the movie files from my laptop I'd be very thankful!

EDIT: maybe this isn't a gadget problem anymore - I've no clue. For some reason the laptop now recognises that the Camcorder exists but when I try to open the files they're all .MOD or .MOI. It won't let me open them with anything and keeps tellign me they're not movie files.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hi I will move this to the MAC forum as they are a good bunch on all things MAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

Hi, I've no experience with that camera - but there's some useful advice on the site below. I suggest your read the entire article and comments to figure out your best approach.

http://www.masternewmedia.org/how_to_convert_mod_video_files_to/

Cheers,

barry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Did you try to run iMovie ? If the camera is detected you should be able to control it from there. Generally the Mac doesn't make a big hoohaa about new devices that are plugged in. They usually just work with whatever app is appropriate ! So a stills camera will open with iPhoto etc.

My experience with iMovie and video cameras is that nothing happens until you start it then you can control the cameras functions directly from within the app ! The video files are then imported and are viewable and editable.

Ken

Advertisement